RO/DI and Skimmer Brand Suggestions, please

edfkbf

Hey Reefers:

Can you suggest recommended brands of RO/DI and Skimmers, and which brands to avoid? And how much I should expect to pay.

I'm thinking about getting 180g, and am in the process of making "the plan." With that big of a tank, I don't want to be going to and fro LFS for H-2-O...

I've been reading WAMAS long enough to know it's a must to have a good plan first and to go slowly after doing the right research. :clap: Any other advice is welcome too.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by edfkbf

AWI is a sponsor of the club. They have various ro/di models.

As for skimmers, get the best you can afford. A guy on here greys seas aquatics alsomakes some pretty good quality stuff . Look in the sponsors section. Grey seas also resells the AWI stuff I believe. May be a one stop shop.

I would just warn you to avoid best bargain skimmer, and over rate the model you get.

I purchased my RO/DI from Buckeye Field Supply (75gpd) and have been extremely happy with it; as for a skimmer, there are many very good units on the market, but for value, efficiency and ease of use, I'd have to recommend an Octopus skimmer. Octopus are designed like a Euroreef and are plug and play.

I would just add that they are all about the same. Dont overpay for a name.

All the housings/filters are interchangeable. If I had to do it again, Id just get something from Air Water ice and be done and for half the price I paid before I discovered WAMAS and learned my lesson :)

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I know I will have more questions and I'm grateful to members of WAMAS for their opinions and generous guidance.

Hey Reefers:

Can you suggest recommended brands of RO/DI and Skimmers, and which brands to avoid? And how much I should expect to pay.

I'm thinking about getting 180g, and am in the process of making "the plan." With that big of a tank, I don't want to be going to and fro LFS for H-2-O...

I've been reading WAMAS long enough to know it's a must to have a good plan first and to go slowly after doing the right research. :clap: Any other advice is welcome too.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to WAMAS.

You can also look in the For Sale/Buy/Free Section on WAMAS. You may find a RO/DI unit there for a lot less than retail. Wish I would have checked there before I bought mine.

Ron

Edited by onux20

Welcome to the club,

Air Water Ice stands behind their products 100%. I believe they also offer 10% off to their RODI units to WAMAS members as well.

Yep something like that. I got mine during a group buy... have been using it since. Its awesome and was cheap. Cant ask for more!