Pacific East [Dr. Mac]

CHUBAKAH

I'm heading out in about an hour, so I may not get a response in time however I am curious if anyone here has any experience with purchasing live rock from Dr. Mac?

From his site it says the rock is tanked, but I also see where he explains curing his rock.

Anyone know how far along his rock is, or even if it is ready at purchase?

I'm certainly in no rush, but it would be nice if my tank would be ready to add a few things by the next meeting.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Thanks Cliff, I have read the same thing.

Looking forward to the day, if I can just get my wife ready.

:cough:

Well I just arrived back home after my 10 hour journey. I must say it was worth the trip. My sister and bro in law live on the eastern shore, so I stopped by, dropped off the wife and kid and my bro and I headed down. When we arrived there was one other gentleman in the store, and the Doc was with him. We looked around the place for maybe 30 minutes when the Doc came over to ask if he could help us. I explained I was very new to the Reef scene, and he was happy to give both of us the grand tour. He walked us around each and every holding tank, and even took us in to every room marked employee, and explained how he ran each section, and what each piece of equipment did. He was very informative, and one of the nicer guys I have met to date that owned a store.

The quality of Everything we saw was very nice, and the prices were very reasonable. I picked up 75lbs of rock while I was there that he hand picked for me cleaning the sponges and what not as he went.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and would recommend the good doctor to anyone.

Pacific east gets two thumbs up from me!

Mark,

I'm glad you had a good time, I can't wait til I can make the trip down there. It's a long ways from Highland, MD, though I don't know where you live.

:cheers:

Mark,

I am also a new Reefer just setting up my tank and will be interested in getting LR in the future. May I ask what Dr. Mac charged you for the rock.

Thanks!

(edited)

Cliff,

It was a very long way from here as well. I am in Ranson WV about 30 seconds from the Charles Town Race Track. I just built a custom home here three months ago. It was a three hour drive for me. Looks like I drove right by you on my way down.

Lunker,

He has it on sale right now for $3.98 a pound, which is about three bucks cheaper than anyplace I have visited recently. He told me he is going through about 1000lbs a week, so it needs a full cure.

I had my choice of every piece.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Dr Mac is a great guy. He got into the business because of his passion for corals and marine fish. I believe he was a marine biologist before he retired. If you ever want to buy the rocks, email him, he'll give you a quote and even tell you when it's the best day to come and get them. Apparently they do get sold out very quickly.

Lunker,

He has it on sale right now for $3.98 a pound, which is about three bucks cheaper than anyplace I have visited recently. He told me he is going through about 1000lbs a week, so it needs a full cure.

I believe that "sale" price may stay that way for a while. It was $3.98 a pound at our fall meeting a couple months ago. I had him pick out about 150lbs of it for me just before our fall meeting. Not only was it excellent LR, but he delivered it for free to the meeting. I would not hesitate to order more from him in the future.

I think he was a virus guy and I know he worked at several diffrent coral places before opening his store...Hes got a bio on his page:) I got live rock from him at 3.50 a pound several years ago so his prices have stayed constant... its a wonderful drive and I order from him all the time... the best part is his deal on shipping live stock to the ups center in our zone.. Well atleast my zone some of you might be outside of it... He ships promplty and his staff is excellent customer services they get it right 99% of the time and will even bag things as I put in the email so ppl just get thier orders no spliting water... Each coral is hand bagged and the box is packed very nicely... Defenlty never had a problem with him ... wish he offered wamas discounts:)....

wish he offered wamas discounts:)....

I was under the impression he did, at least that is what the lady at the counter implied when I showed her my card, just not on live rock. I could be wrong on that though.

A couple of years ago, I purchased 30lbs of live rock from Dr. Macs to seed my dry base rock. I chose to get rock that had been in their holding tanks for a little over two weeks. Very happy with the purchase, never a problem with it to this day (no unwanted hitch hikers).

I purchase a little over 100 lbs from him about a year and half ago. The rock is great and I'm still finding all sorts of new critters. Don't forget about the new tank discount on inverts and livestock.

They're always very friendly and actually call me with tracking numbers even though I also get them in my email.

I ordered a Powder Blue from them that did not ship well and was dead within 24 hours. They credited my account for my next purchase...which reminds me I have an order to place soon :).

They're also a nice excuse for a beach trip.