Nick's (OrientBlueReef) 114g Reef

UPDATE: Picked up tank yesterday, snapped a couple of pictures, and will have the tank going in the wall this evening. I will take more pictures tonight!

Tank:

gallery_1706_377_66225.jpg

UPDATE: I will have more thoughts later, but Jeff did a great piece of work.

Jeff is currently building me a tank with the following dimensions: 44 L X 24 W X 25 T. The back wall will be aqua colored acrylic. I am still trying to figure out the oveflow situation. At first, I was thinking acrylic standpipes, now I am thinking differently. The tank will be in a closet and viewable from a long and a short side. The problem is is that there is only about 2.5" from the back of the tank to the wall. I am thinking slim bulkheads fit into one long or multiple shorter calfo style overflows. The overflows wouldn't be attached directly to the tank, but bulkheaded in. They wouldn't be wider than 1-2". Any thoughts?

Sump:

gallery_1706_377_925822.jpg

UPDATE: Not much to update, just a picture. Sorry for the surrounding mess and horrible picture.

The sump is a LifeReef CLF1. Lots of numbers for a 24 X 13 X 14 sump.

Skimmer:

gallery_1706_377_400218.jpg

UPDATE: The first two Eheims DrsFosterSmith sent me were cracked on the top casing. They were good about quickly sending replacements, and the third time was a charm. Still kind of annoying, though.

I am custom building one out of 8" diameter cell cast acrylic. The Eheim 1262 I ordered to use shoud be here Thursday. It will be recirculating with a 5" diameter neck. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures during the build, so more details will follow later.

Lighting:

Metal Halides: 2 X 250W IceCap Electronic Ballasts

2 X 250W Radium Bulbs

Actinic: Not sure here yet, I was either going to do VHO or T5. An IceCap660 seems like the choice

either way.

RO/DI:

UPDATE: Received the unit in a very timely fashion and am EXTREMELY impressed with the quality. I would recommend this company to anybody: great quality, great service, fast shipping.

Another item I ordered the other day. I placed my order with "the filter guys" yesterday. I ordered the Ocean Reef + 1 the other day, so no horizontal DI cartridges. It came with a 75gpd filmtec RO membrane. Although I haven't seen the unit, everything seems to be quality parts.

Circulation:

For now circulation will be achieved through a return and two modded MJ1200s. Later on I will go back to the Tunzes I had on my cube, but I only have one 6045 left right now. I suppose I could get another 6045 and sell the MJs. I might just do that. Right now, I don't have the money to go with controllable Tunzes.

Return:

I think I might go with a Laguna Powerjet 1500. Yes, it is a pond pump. Yes, it is reef safe. For $110 shipped, I haven't found many other options. I am interested to hear what people think of this.

UV Sterilizer:

gallery_1706_377_959074.jpg

UPDATE: Now that I got the tank, I just opened up the box for the Gamma UV. Unfortunately, the quartz sleeve was cracked at the closed end. I don't know what to expect because I took shipment a couple of weeks ago, but never opened the box until now. We'll see how it goes with DrsFosterSmith later today.

40W Gamma UV sterilizer. From everything I heard, I should be very happy with this unit.

ATO:

Lifereef ATO that I got with the sump. I plan to use it to activate an aqualifter to top off through a kalk reactor.

Reactors:

The sump came with an acrylic tube to run carbon. Not quite a reactor, but for carbon it should do the trick. I am going to run phosban in a Phosban Reactor 150 (one of the two little fishies ones) that I have had for a while. The kalk reactor will be DIY as well. Pictures of the Kalk Reactor build to follow.

As far as equipment goes, that just about covers it. I will get into Livestock later, but I plan to generally go with pairs/groups. I have a Watanabei Trio planned as the centerpiece fish.

Edited by OrientBlueReef

• 3 weeks later...

Nick,

looks like your gonna get a move on it quickly now.....................nice to have met you yesterday.

Hope you enjoy that tank.

Jeff

Looks nice. I'm in Bethesda, so if you need any help with anything just let me know.

Wreck