sump monster

mogurnda

Rather than continuing the hijack of dshnarw's thread, I am starting a new one for Monsieur Gastone. Here is the biggest of the Eunicids living in my sumps. About 3 feet, growing about 6" per year.

I only see it when I tear a tank down, so I could use ideas about retrieving it (without destroying the fuge) if Garrett really wants it.

9382eunicif.jpg

Rather than continuing the hijack of dshnarw's thread, I am starting a new one for Monsieur Gastone. Here is the biggest of the Eunicids living in my sumps. About 3 feet, growing about 6" per year.

I only see it when I tear a tank down, so I could use ideas about retrieving it (without destroying the fuge) if Garrett really wants it.

9382eunicif.jpg

:lol: Didn't really mind the hijack...free bumps ;)

Thats one heck of a worm...AND a heck of a growth rate.

The one thing I'd say for catching is to put in a small diameter pvc pipe that it can get in for a house, and snag him while he's inside. (essentially what Steve Weast did, but accidentally: http://oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm)

Dave,

I'm way serious. I'd love to get ahold of one. My stock tank is fishless/fragless(save for some odd mushrooms/xenia/mine tapetums). Do you have any idea what this guy is eating?

If it's softies I'm sure someone can donate some capnella/kenya tree to feed this guy.

Garrett.

Dave,

I'm way serious. I'd love to get ahold of one. My stock tank is fishless/fragless(save for some odd mushrooms/xenia/mine tapetums). Do you have any idea what this guy is eating?

If it's softies I'm sure someone can donate some capnella/kenya tree to feed this guy.

Garrett.

I have seen him stick his head out and bite mushrooms. It also eats seagrasses, both turtle and stargrass, which I learned the hard way. You might also try bacon or pop tarts, I don't think he's picky.

Edit: A bit more seriously, I think the guy mostly lives on detritus and infauna in the sandbed. Since I feed a lot and use no mechanical filtration, there's probably a lot of yummy detritus to support its excellent growth.

The tube idea sounds like a good possibility.

Dave,

just stick your hands in there and grab that thing.

G.

I wish it were that easy. Despite its size, I hardly ever see more than the burrows it leaves behind. Plus, it feels, well, yucky. Like overcooked pasta. I have a feeling it wouldn't take much of a pull to turn one worm into two. Will work the problem.

I should have posted after I pulled it out of the seahorse tank last fall, but thought I was the only one dumb enough to want to keep one.