crab id

stratos21ss

Have only spotted this little one inch crab two times since I have had rock curing in a 75g the last few months. This time I got a few pictures of it before it quickly hid away. What kind of crab is it?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Thanks,

_Matt

Doesn't look like a porcelain crab to me. My guess is that it's a predator. I'm basing that on how heavy the claws look, but it's hard to tell as I can't get a good view of the claws. I would remove it and post a better picture. Typically, the claws are a good indication of what type of crab it is (meaning how it's likely to behave in your tank).

The claws dominate and give it a comical appearance..both claws are the same in size and they each appear bigger than the body...not the greatest picture. I will look into capturing and getting a better shot of it.. thanks for the info though!

Are the claws as bulky as they look or are they flattened out and thin?

Also, look at the claws to see if they are serrated on the inside of the pincers and see if the points of the claws are flattened out where they meet each other or come to a point.

Dave - Bulky front legs and claws...looks like a weight lifter lol. If I can catch it I will check on the serrations..I have only had a few short looks at him thus far so I can't provide much detail.

rr - Thanks.. I bought the rock from Dr Mac..

_Matt

Dave - Bulky front legs and claws...looks like a weight lifter lol. If I can catch it I will check on the serrations..I have only had a few short looks at him thus far so I can't provide much detail.

rr - Thanks.. I bought the rock from Dr Mac..

_Matt

WOW.......i want some of that rock!!!

good buy!

I think the crab I saw in the store today was the same thing - it said "shame face crab"

• 6 months later...

Sonic has grown up a bit..now that the rock is in the tank I can see him come out under the moonlight LEDs. These were shot in the moonlight with flash. Any ideas on what kind of crab it is?

pic1-16.jpg

pic3-8.jpg

pic2-13.jpg

Hmm, yeah, ditto, thought I'd seen him before. First thing popped in my head, "gorilla"

fuzzy wuzzy meanie - big pincers gives it away. I would put in fuge if possible.

I was thinking he needs to go in the steamer with some Old Bay!

Are the claws as bulky as they look or are they flattened out and thin?

Also, look at the claws to see if they are serrated on the inside of the pincers and see if the points of the claws are flattened out where they meet each other or come to a point.

Additionally - are the tips of the claws dark in color?

EVIL blue-eyed coral-eating crab:

crab2.jpg

bob

RE: the devil-eyed crab, above

Please do read:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabidfaq2.htm

Your crab is pictured about 1/3 of the way down the page and the post underneath it describes it well, I think.

The crew at WetWebMedia say that all crabs are to some extend predatory and not reef safe (yes, even mithrax will eventually grow too large in time). They take the posture of "innocent until proven guilty." However, they recommend removing all such can-opener-types to the refugium whenever possible.

Happy hunting!

:)

P.S. And as to the pincers - the crew says that generally, "form follows function," i.e., I'd take it out of there.

Edited by Sharkb8