ASaleem91's MIND-BLOWING 75g Reef

ASaleem91

Hellooo Everybody!!! I have always wanted to make a tank thread for my 75g tank, but never thought it was good enough, well guess what.....NOW IT IS!!! Over President's Day weekend my brother, Mohsin aka Weap0n_X aka Picasso (you'll find out later why his nickname is Picasso), and I worked on my tank, stand, and canopy all day and all night. First we needed to tear down the aquascape and make sure nothing was on the rocks, which there was. The rock was filled with aiptasia, which were a "PIA" to kill, but luckily I got them all. I used the kalk method to kill them off. I loaded up the syringe and blasted away. The next day when we were ready to aquascape, they just fell off. Anyways, after we got all the rock cleaned up, it was time to focus on the stand and canopy. The first thing we needed to do was sand the stand and canopy down till they were smooth. After that came the easy part, my brother painted it black, put on the new handle bars, and we were good to go. He then spray painted the back of the fish tank black, which looks awesome. After that we stuck the tank on top of the stand and then added new aragonite sand because the sand was a little low before. Then it was aquascaping time :clap:. Mohsin created my aquacape which is why we call him picasso. In less than an hour he had the aquascape up and it looked awesome....my favorite part. After aquascaping, we filled up the tank, stuck the canopy on, and got all the equipment running. Then came the hard part, cleaning up the basement, took me all of Monday. Anyways here is the final product....Enjoy the pictures.

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

DSC03061.jpg

DSC03062.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

More pictures to come as the tank matures and more things are added.

Ali

Edited by ASaleem91

Nice tank Ali!

The way it looked before and how it looks now is really mind blowing. It would have been cool if you had pictures of how it looked before.

Make sure you keep it clean this time around. :biggrin:

What's mind blowing? It's looking great, I like the aquascape. One suggestion to make a big improvement in the look of your tank. Since you have those two huge power heads moving alot of water and you're not yet heavily stocked on corals. Why not paint that overflow box. Take it out, dry it out, give it a few coats of krylon fusion and put her back, it'll look a lot better

What's mind blowing? It's looking great, I like the aquascape. One suggestion to make a big improvement in the look of your tank. Since you have those two huge power heads moving alot of water and you're not yet heavily stocked on corals. Why not paint that overflow box. Take it out, dry it out, give it a few coats of krylon fusion and put her back, it'll look a lot better

I never thought about painting the overflow box, but I think it will look much better. I will have to do that this weekend.

Thanks,

Ali

looks great, I look forward to seeing it in person this weekend

• 4 weeks later...

Just recieved my two new Koralia 4's. They are ten times better than my Seios. The Koralias have a much wider flow than the Seios. Here are some pictures of them.

Left Side:

DSC03422.jpg

Ride Side:

DSC03419.jpg

Bad FTS:

DSC03416.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I think its time to add a refugium...

I already have a "built in" refugium in my sump, but need to add chaeto. The last time I tried to start up my refugium, the chaeto disappeared after about 2 weeks. :cry: I had a maxi jet in there for flow and a flood light for....light. I still do not know why it didnt at least survive if not grow.

So I want to do it right this time. Can you guys and gals give me some info on how to start up and KEEP my refugium running. I know that I am making this more complicated than it should be, but I want to make sure that the chaeto actually lives this time.

Thanks,

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you need the maxijet in there for flow, but IMO the problem is usually light.

If you haven't already, try the power compact flood lights you can get from HD or Lowes. They have built in reflectors and really put out a lot of light at relatively low watts (15-17 for most of them). Generally lower Kelvin is better (2700 - 5500) for growing chaeto. There are a lot of good reasons to use a reverse light cycle, but if you are having trouble growing it I would try leaving the lights on 24/7 for a while and see if that helps. Depending on how big an area you are talking about, you might want to get more than just one bulb as well.

Hope this helps.