Just got my ACIII, oh boy

smarsh97

So I just got my AC III. I am really excited. This will go on my 180. I do petsitting so am away from home sometimes. It will be nice to have something monitoring my tank for me so I don't freak out. The last time I was gone for 3 weeks I came home every morning and evening (I'm a little paranoid).

I was looking at the directions last night and it is a little scary. I plan on hooking this up this weekend, I hope it isn't too difficult.

Any tips anyone want to throw out there?

Sandy

So I just got my AC III. I am really excited. This will go on my 180. I do petsitting so am away from home sometimes. It will be nice to have something monitoring my tank for me so I don't freak out. The last time I was gone for 3 weeks I came home every morning and evening (I'm a little paranoid).

I was looking at the directions last night and it is a little scary. I plan on hooking this up this weekend, I hope it isn't too difficult.

Any tips anyone want to throw out there?

Sandy

Sandy,

WAMAS have a boat load of people who been using the ACIII and the AC Pro, so have no fear. We had a huge group buy on the ACIII back in December. Here's a link that can also help you with the programming side and you can also post questions there too. If you set up your ACIII to connect to your home network, then you should download the AquaNote lite version from their website. It's much easier to program your ACIII from your computer than it is from the unit.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18730

Edited by jnguyen4007

thanks, I do splan to hook it up to my home network.

I hope that it goes smoothly. I think it will be fine, just looking at the book is kind of daunting.

Sandy

LOL Yeah, I remember what that was like the first time I cracked open the book. You should take a look at the link I provided earlier. There's a lot of useful information in there that will simplify your task in setting up your ACIII. Congrats on your purchase by the way. It's a great piece of investment.

So, I started reading the book and I am confused. I just don't understand something from the get go, that may be bad news for me.

When they talk about the "control interface". I am assuming this is the DC8? Am I right about that.

Also, for those using this contraption, do you have everything in including the ACIII plugged into power strips?

Also, where in relation to your tank are your ACIII and DC4/8 located?

Thanks in advance.

I did read that whole other thread, but it really doesn't make sense to me yet. I guess when I get into programming it, then it will make sense.

I mean dang, I can't even get it plugged in yet, LOL.

Sandy

I have my ac3 and DC4/8 under my display tank....anywhere is fine just as long there is no way it can get wet. Have seen one tank where display was placed on a wall making it very easy to read as you entered the room.

power:

I have my ac3 and dc8 plugin into a surge protector, all devices that you want the ac3 to control, plug unto the dc8. The ac3 controls the dc4/8 via a small phone cable that connects the two units.

control interface:

the control interface is the RJ11 connecting to the right of the RJ45 on the ac3. Looks like a telephone outlet. This in where you plug the phone cord that came with the unit into and the other end plugs into the dc4/8

Edited by kngfisher

Thanks to Kingfisher and Chip. It really confused me. It was really a simple thing so I don't know why I was so confused. LOL.

Okay, going to start hooking it up now. I hopefully will be back with good news.

Sandy

AC III is awesome, I don't know how I ever had a tank without it :) .... if you ever want to see it in action or setup in Herndon. Give a holler.

regards

John

If you're ever in the Vienna area, you're welcome to swing by and take a look at my ACIII setup.

Thanks, I may just take you two up on that offer. I didn't get to set this up yet. My mom brought my dog home (she's had 4 surgeries on her leg since Nov and has to stay with my mom because she can't control herself aroud me) and I have been just hanging out with her. Have to keep an eye on her because she wants to go after that leg.

I think I am going to go ahead and plug it in and start the programming and then try it tomorrow.

How are you all hanging the ACIII. I am not to sure of the velcro that comes with it. The DC8 can be screwed in, but the actual ACIII has no way to screw it to anything.

Sandy

I'm currently using the velcro strips and have been for about a year.

When I skin all my tanks fronts to look like a wall unit, I plan to get one of Dan's ACIII holders to finish it off.

We're in McLean if you want to see ours and you can bring your ACIII and we can program it on my connection so you get the hang of it.