Shrimp to help cycle?

Hilary

I'm setting up two tanks as temporary quarters until I get the 90g set up the way I like it. Today somebody recommended throwing a shrimp (dead kind) in to help cycle the filters? I'm getting LR from a tank breakdown tomorrow and plan to put some of it in these tanks along with some live sand - shrimp still necessary?

Edited by Hilary

Use of dead shrimp to cycle a tank is a good way to get an ammonia spike and jump start the growth of nitrifying bacteria. (You can also use common ammonia from the grocery store.) I'd skip this though if you are going to use established live rock in the tank.

Bob

Use of dead shrimp to cycle a tank is a good way to get an ammonia spike and jump start the growth of nitrifying bacteria. (You can also use common ammonia from the grocery store.) I'd skip this though if you are going to use established live rock in the tank.

Bob

I agree.

I would however suggest you also use some "cycle" as per the bottle.

Once opened, it must be kept in the fridge.

Thanks so much - I like those answers! Wasn't looking forward to floating dead shrimp.... I'll see if I can find Cycle (Nutrifin product, right?) tomorrow.

Thanks so much - I like those answers! Wasn't looking forward to floating dead shrimp.... I'll see if I can find Cycle (Nutrifin product, right?) tomorrow.

Maybe try Wally's or that other place in Annandale.

You might have to ice skate there.

I was JUST at Wally's this evening - should have posted this earlier! :lol2: I need to find the other store - I'm trying to visit most of the local stores so I know what I can find where.

I'm hoping for enough weather to not have to go into DC for work, but still good enough to take my Subaru out for a couple of little excursions.....

unless you need to put the sand in, i wouldn't bother it'll just make a mess when you go to clean everything up. you're essentially setting up a qt so go with the LR and just use the tanks barebottom. if you don't have enough rock for hiding places then toss in some PVC fittings as well so the fish have a place to hide.

I was JUST at Wally's this evening - should have posted this earlier! :lol2: I need to find the other store - I'm trying to visit most of the local stores so I know what I can find where.

I'm hoping for enough weather to not have to go into DC for work, but still good enough to take my Subaru out for a couple of little excursions.....

Super Petz is on the same road and on the same side of the road as Wally's. Just go a couple miles west, it's at the intersection of Little River Turnpike and John Marr Rd.

tim

Thanks! Road trip at lunchtime.... Now if I can just get the RO/DI unit installed without flooding the basement. I'm picking up 90 lb of Antonio's LR tonight, so I'll have plenty for these tanks.