carpet anemone

modelrr

I'm interested in getting one of these for my aquarium as a centerpiece. Any advice?

My lighting is a 6x54w TEK T5 fixture

how fast do these things grow on average?

and how much of a threat will the anemone be to my other livestock (two tangs, pygmy cherub angel, shrimp, etc.)?

I had one for quite a while. Died when I was slow to transfer to the new tank, when I moved the MH before the anem. T5 should be fine. They are hard to acclimate though. Once acclimated they usually do well. I had no missing fish while I had mine. The can get very large though, and one of the most powerful stings of anems. So when you drop your frags in it, don't expect and easy recovery.

My ocellaris did host, but took a long time, and not typical.

I actually recommend against it. I have one right now in my 120, and I don't dare putting any fish in there that are even close to being expensive (my most expensive fish right now is my melanurus wrasse @ ~$40).

I've had the carpet - and it does look nice - for almost 7 years now, and I blame it for the deaths of, including but not limited to:

yellow tang (didn't actually see it, but I found the bones in front of the "lair" when I moved)

longnose butterfly (I saw it spitting up the remains)

green brittle star (I actually saw it "yucking up" the remains here too)

ricordea (this one was my fault, I was putting it in the tank, and I lost it on the tongs - right to the carpet...)

snails, oh snails... how many have I dug out of the mouth

coral frags - lose handle on a frag while cutting it... forget about it

Any many others I'm sure I don't know about...

IMO, they really are deserving of a species-only setup, or some type of satellite aquarium (like a refugium or frag tank, where only clowns reside. I plan to do this as soon as I have room.

Add at your own risk, I say.

Cheers

Mike

I'm interested in getting one of these for my aquarium as a centerpiece. Any advice?

My lighting is a 6x54w TEK T5 fixture

how fast do these things grow on average?

and how much of a threat will the anemone be to my other livestock (two tangs, pygmy cherub angel, shrimp, etc.)?

Your lighting is plenty for haddoni. A healthy captive specimen should grow from 6" to the 12" mark in 6 months, likely hit 16" by the end of the year. Eventually hit 20" if well cared for.

Tangs seem to be incredibly common food stuff for S. haddoni in our aquaria. I don't recall too many accounts of the dwarf/pygmy angels being eaten, but tangs are going down a few times a year in RC posts.

If it was going to be a centerpiece, I would focus on a larger pair of clowns with haddoni tolerance and avoid fish that blunder around like tangs.

Fwiw: I have a pair of large clowns that love to feed shrimp to the anemones, wiped out a colony of scarlet cleaners. Be cautious there too.

IMO, they really are deserving of a species-only setup, or some type of satellite aquarium (like a refugium or frag tank, where only clowns reside.
Mike, I share your opinion and apply it to all anemones actually :)

Ditto on your lights. They are fine. Mine grew to about 14" when he's fully expanded. Most days he's only about 10"-12".

I haven't known him to eat anything other than what he's been fed, but I won't put it past him.

If it's going to be a danger for any of my tangs, I'm definitely not getting one for the main tank.

IMO, they really are deserving of a species-only setup, or some type of satellite aquarium (like a refugium or frag tank, where only clowns reside. I plan to do this as soon as I have room.
This may be an option for me...

thanks for the info everyone!

Edited by modelrr

I have six tangs in my 220 with a green carpet. The green carpet is very well behaved. It doesn't bother anything and has stayed in the same spot since I got him. It is a monster, probably 20" when fully inflated.

I have however lost small fish in my tank without explanation (mandarin, chromis, shrimp and I believe my potters angel disappeared this week).

I would say small fish are more of a risk than tangs but I am no expert.

The carpet anemone is awesome....