Feather Dusters

newfish

I just got a small feather duster from marine scene. It looked healthy there and so I decided to get it.

Got home and it hasnt opened or anything.

How long does it usually take before they decide to open up.

Also how can you tell it is alive or dead.

Thanks for the help

Josh

I just got a small feather duster from marine scene. It looked healthy there and so I decided to get it.

Thanks for the help

Josh

You never know... sometimes they can close up for a few days. I saw a report from someone that their feather duster 'died' - and a year later they found it alive and happy in a different location. It's a worm... not a lot of intelligence there.

bob

You never know... sometimes they can close up for a few days. I saw a report from someone that their feather duster 'died' - and a year later they found it alive and happy in a different location. It's a worm... not a lot of intelligence there.

bob

If it hasnt opened in a couple of days will most LFS replace it or give a refund or is it kind of a loss if it never opens

Mine didn't open until a day later. How long did you aclimate your Feather Duster? I did a drip aclimate for 45min, and it is fine a couple days later.

Tee

-----------------------------------

If it hasnt opened in a couple of days will most LFS replace it or give a refund or is it kind of a loss if it never opens

Mine didn't open until a day later. How long did you aclimate your Feather Duster? I did a drip aclimate for 45min, and it is fine a couple days later.

Tee

-----------------------------------

I did about the same as far as acclimation

How can you tell if it is even still in there??

Was it open when you bought it? I would give it a few days I've never had that problem though maybe try and feed it! Anyway hope it comes out!

A number of things can happen when you move it. For one, it could lose its crown and you won't see any signs that you have an actual worm in the tube. Or, it could remove itself from the tube and build a new one somewhere else. Bottom line is that you simply have to be patient. If you tear it out or start squeezing the tube, you'll injure or kill it. Also, I don't think Marine Scene has any guarantee on any livestock, most places don't do that for saltwater, with the exception of online stores.

Thanks for the help

Josh

I've got a few dusters in my tank, just give it some time. Maybe shine a light on it.

my feather duster 'disappeared' for weeks ... but then I noticed it sliding around in its tube (which had grown way into the rock) as I was rearranging rockwork in my tank... I repositioned it and within a day or so its crown was out again.

one of the ones I got not long ago took a few days to come out more than just the very tips of his "feathers"

I got one and it never opened. A few weeks later I realized the tube was empty. That was last year. The other day I was looking behind the rocks and low and behold there was a feather duster back there. I don't know why it went back there, but it is alive and well.

Give it some time.

Sandy

Make sure it in the light and also in water flow, if it doesn't show any sign or if you can't see anything in the tube in 2 days , it most likely died. I've even buried them in my tank moving rock, but they still work their way back out in a day or two.

Eric