Lost all my neon green candy cane

jamesbuf

Well my candy cane didn't end up making it. This was the first coral I received after joining wamas (thanks cbashaw!) and I made sure to pass on the free frags myself. Does anyone I gave some too have a couple heads to spare so I can start over??

yeah. I know mine came from a lineage from Chris, Raf, and Antonio. Was hoping to continue the same lineage. If no offers come up, I'll consider buying some from you.

James,

When you first started having trouble, I chimed in that I'd be more than happy to give some back. Doesn't it figure that before this latest plea, I came home today to find mine very deflated. There are even spots where the skeleton is peeking through. The flesh is all intact and still bright green, but overall it isn't looking good.

I did a water change fast and then tested what I took out. Everything is totally in check (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <10, ph 8.2 alk 4 and cal 430). I was blaming it on the new lights and turned the daylights off early (even though I had cut back full daylight to only 5 hours). I'd put some "recharged" purgigen back in the tank Sunday, and promptly took that back out....worried that maybe all the chlorine wasn't pulled out during the 12 hours it soaked in Prime. I also replaced the seagel for new. Guess now I just sit back and wait.

Some zoas are closed as well, and mushrooms are smaller than usual, but otherwise, everything seems fine. Xenia, SPS, anemone, ricordia, fish and snails all normal. The candy can is my only LPS.

If I can get them to recover, I'll bring them to the meeting and we can frag them up. Cross your fingers!!!

Sheesh, when it rains, it pours!!

Tracy

If you can think of anything else I can do to help it recover, let me know. I've added it to the target-feeding regimen of my faded monti frag already.

T

If you can think of anything else I can do to help it recover, let me know. I've added it to the target-feeding regimen of my faded monti frag already.

T

I used to feed mine too. Once my MH and T5s turn off, and just the VHO actinics are on, most of my coral's polyps extend for feeding. The candy cane had some HUGE polyp extenstions and caught quite a bit of food with them. Probably helped it grow so fast. If the polyps are still extending during feeding, its got a good shot of making it.

Well, it has a few tentacles out...long ones, but not the shorter ones that usually line the inside of the polyps. We'll see.

Edited by zotzer

T

I got mine at BRK - it has grown from 3 heads to about 10 heads... but no STEMS to speak of... if it ever grows OUT - I'll be happy to frag it.

bob

Raf and antonio may have gotten it from me... NOt sure though... I've had it a while.

Dave

I got mine from Raf. If you're interested, I'll take a look tonight and see if it can be fragged. He gave me about 2 heads - there's about 6 now. Of course all of that is in the last month since I moved it higher in the tank.

James,

Sorry to hear about your candy cane going belly up. I got mine from Carribbean Jake when I first set up my tank. It grew from 4 heads to something like around 16 heads since then. It was deflated last week but it looked like it was back to normal last night. I'll take a look tonight and if it's healthy, I'll ask YBeNormal to cut two or three heads for you.

I got mine at BRK - it has grown from 3 heads to about 10 heads... but no STEMS to speak of... if it ever grows OUT - I'll be happy to frag it.

bob

That's what mine looks like....a big snowball of about 15 heads of them. Well, it did. Right now it looks like a little green stump. Lights are still out though, so I will hope for some recovery.

T

Thanks for the offers everyone. If Tracy's colony can't support a fragging, then I'll definitely follow up with others. This club is sweeeet! Whoever it is, expect a frag in return.

I can see even more of the skeleton tonight. :( There is still bright green flesh, and I see some "feelers", but most of the brighter green "mouths" are gone now. Not sure how this thing will ever recover, but as long as there is bright green flesh and it looks like candy cane, I'll keep babying it and hope for the best.

Tracy

I can see even more of the skeleton tonight. :( There is still bright green flesh, and I see some "feelers", but most of the brighter green "mouths" are gone now. Not sure how this thing will ever recover, but as long as there is bright green flesh and it looks like candy cane, I'll keep babying it and hope for the best.

Tracy

My fingers are crossed.

The candy canes are gone, James. 15 fat happy huge heads, gone in two days! I came home today and the flesh that had been intact was falling off and there was even some black necrosis. Everything else in the tank is happy and healthy....even the monti I posted about over the weekend has retained (maybe even gained) it's color and is doing better.

This is so bizzare. I always figured the candy cane would be the coral to take anything out, if anything. The new lights are the only cause that seems to make sense. Some zoas colonies are still being fussy and semi-closed, while others are open and rockin'. It's the first loss I've had that I didn't know the cause of (ie: a poccilopora being knocked into the anemone while I was cleaning the tank)

I'm totally bummed. It had doubled in size since I got it from you. That single paly polyp you gave me at the same time is now four. Just don't get it at all!!!

Sorry hon!

Tracy

Sorry to hear Tracy. Guess I'll eventually go to plan B.

Considering the lack of responses, all the other frags I gave out must not have made it either.

Maybe they were "Mission Impossible" candy canes....set by mother nature to self-destruct. LOL

It is bizarro, isn't it? Feels like there is a giant hole in my tank now. :(

The color was so unique too....light but amazingly bright green.

Tracy

Sorry to hear Tracy. Guess I'll eventually go to plan B.

Considering the lack of responses, all the other frags I gave out must not have made it either.

James,

Mine is very healthy. I'll be glad to give you two to 3 heads of my neon green candy cane.

The candy canes are gone, James. 15 fat happy huge heads, gone in two days! I came home today and the flesh that had been intact was falling off and there was even some black necrosis. Everything else in the tank is happy and healthy....even the monti I posted about over the weekend has retained (maybe even gained) it's color and is doing better.

This is so bizzare. I always figured the candy cane would be the coral to take anything out, if anything. The new lights are the only cause that seems to make sense. Some zoas colonies are still being fussy and semi-closed, while others are open and rockin'. It's the first loss I've had that I didn't know the cause of (ie: a poccilopora being knocked into the anemone while I was cleaning the tank)

I'm totally bummed. It had doubled in size since I got it from you. That single paly polyp you gave me at the same time is now four. Just don't get it at all!!!

Sorry hon!

Tracy

Tracy,

Mine is large enough that I can also give you two or three heads as well. Let me know if you want them.

From one James to another, I appreciate and accept your offer. You coming to the winter meeting?? What kind of tank do you have? I've got plenty of things I can frag and reciprocate.

From one James to another, I appreciate and accept your offer. You coming to the winter meeting?? What kind of tank do you have? I've got plenty of things I can frag and reciprocate.

James,

No reciprocation is necessary. It's the least I can do to help out a fellow WAMAS member. Now if I see you have something interesting later down the road, I might have to ask you for a frag of it then. HEHEHEHE. I will see you there at the winter meeting.