bleaching question...

treesprite

If a coral is bleaching white, i.e., no zooxanthwateverspellingllae for photsynthesis, but still has extended/open polyps, can target feeding something help to keep it alive?

I'm wondering if that's why this bleached pocillopora frag still has extended/open polyps on it, since I've been squirting microvert over it ocassionally. If it turns out that this is actually helping it, I'll start doing it more often.

Yes, that is the only way to keep it alive. No zooxanthellae (zoox for short) means the coral isn't getting byproducts of photosynthesis (glucose). It needs to eat other stuff or it will die in fairly short order. Corals don't have much in the way of energy reserves.

Yes, that is the only way to keep it alive. No zooxanthellae (zoox for short) means the coral isn't getting byproducts of photosynthesis (glucose). It needs to eat other stuff or it will die in fairly short order. Corals don't have much in the way of energy reserves.

So as long as I feed it it won't die? What about growing? Would the coral actually be able to grow beyond it's little frag size?

Also, it's Kent Microvert that I've been using but also have Zooplex - any thoughts on what I'm using or suggestions for something that would work better?

Yes they can get zoox back. As for food, particle size matters a lot. I'm not sure about those two products as I haven't used them, but DT's oyster eggs are good for sps, as are some of the powdered foods like coral frenzy or reef chili.

Chances are it won't grow without algae, unless you sit there feeding it all day. Coral has an energy budget, and when that budget is met, the excess is used for growth and reproduction. It's believed that sps get 85-90% of their energy from zoox, if I remember correctly.

Edited by ctenophore

I got a frag of 'pokerstar' monti from Eastern Aquaculture that was completely white by the time I got it home. White polyps on a white base. It stayed that way for a couple of weeks, and then the polyps turned green. Then the base started to color up. Looks normal now - a couple months later.

bob