How often do you clean your skimmer pump?

Tee

Hi all,

My old, used skimmer produce very little bubble. The pump seem weakend, eventhough I adjust it to the max. I had it set at 3/4 before, and it produce a lot of bubble.

It was clean about a month ago before I bought it. How often do you guy clean your skimmer pump?

Every month?

And how do you clean your pump?

Thanks,

Tee

Hi all,

My old, used skimmer produce very little bubble. The pump seem weakend, eventhough I adjust it to the max. I had it set at 3/4 before, and it produce a lot of bubble.

It was clean about a month ago before I bought it. How often do you guy clean your skimmer pump?

Every month?

And how do you clean your pump?

Thanks,

Tee

I clean my air valve every couple of two to three weeks as mine is easily clog.

Oh, sorry that I forgot to mention. I have a Turbo Berlin HO Skimmer with Rio pump. I have it in my sump. I haven't been able to adjust it right to make it produce dark foam. Here is how I had it set up:

I have the pump inside my sump, and the skimmer is outside of my sump. I leave the air valse full open, and the flow regulator at about 3/4 to the max. The manual said I should adjust the flow rate so that the bubble won't go to the outside tube.

The problem is when I adjust the flow regulator so that it won't produce bubble to the outside tube, there will be no foam come up the cup collector.

If I increase the flow regulator, foam will come up, water flow out the outflow, but the bubble will also see in the outside tube.

After a month, now even when I turn the pump regulator to the max, it doesn't produce much bubble anymore.

Here is my skimmer, Red Sea Berlin Hang-on Protein Skimmer:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RS1113.html

Mamual:

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic...uels/berlin.pdf

If anybody in the Burke area, between Braddock and Burke Lake Road, please let me know if you can stop by my house to take a look at my setup. I really appreciate that.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Tee

-------------------------------------------

It would help to know what kind of skimmer you have. There could be alot of possiblilites depending on the type of skimmer.

I am not familiar with your type of skimmer, but it sounds like the inlet where the water is pumped into the skimmer has a nozzle which creates the bubbles. This is the way mine works. When the intake nozzle gets clogged with a little debris, then it does not create bubbles properly. If you can take the intake apart, then I would check that. Good Luck, I am in Howard County Maryland.

I do the following

1)clean collection cup one a week minimum

2)clean air inlet buy having it suck water a few times one a week (does not clog nearly as often since increased ID

3)clean impeller of recirc pump one a month

4)clean feed pump one a month

I think the newer Berlin skimmers have an air adjustment that just crimps down the hose as you turn the knob in. Over time the hose then gets stuck closed and cannot open to let in more air when you loosen the knob. If you have enough slack in your airline, try loosening the knob all the way and then pull the airline up. You will probably see a flat spot in the airline, cut it off if you have enough slack in the line. If this is how yours is setup, I would put a simple air valve (like one that comes with a maxijet powerhead) and leave the old valve wide open. I hope this helps.

Rick

Oh, sorry that I forgot to mention. I have a Turbo Berlin HO Skimmer with Rio pump. I have it in my sump. I haven't been able to adjust it right to make it produce dark foam. Here is how I had it set up:

I have the pump inside my sump, and the skimmer is outside of my sump. I leave the air valse full open, and the flow regulator at about 3/4 to the max. The manual said I should adjust the flow rate so that the bubble won't go to the outside tube.

The problem is when I adjust the flow regulator so that it won't produce bubble to the outside tube, there will be no foam come up the cup collector.

If I increase the flow regulator, foam will come up, water flow out the outflow, but the bubble will also see in the outside tube.

After a month, now even when I turn the pump regulator to the max, it doesn't produce much bubble anymore.

Here is my skimmer, Red Sea Berlin Hang-on Protein Skimmer:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RS1113.html

Mamual:

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic...uels/berlin.pdf

If anybody in the Burke area, between Braddock and Burke Lake Road, please let me know if you can stop by my house to take a look at my setup. I really appreciate that.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Tee

-------------------------------------------