Opinion on JBJ Ocean Pulse?

Origami

Looking for an experienced opinion: Can the JBJ Ocean Pulse wavemaker work with Hydor Koralia's without the start up issues of "bang-bang" (on/off) wavemaker controllers? Are they any good?

(edited)

Got my answer from the manufacturer:

Quick answer: Not compatible:

Here's the email exchange:

These are on off type

Thank you,

Marc

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:01 PM

To: orders@Aquatic-Store.com

Subject: Question about the compatibility of your Ocean Pulse WaveMakers and Hydor Koralia's.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding an answer to a rather simple question about your Ocean Pulse Wavemakers. Maybe you can help me.

Are the wavemakers in the Ocean Pulse series the on-off type, meaning do they apply and remove power from the powerheads periodically? Or, do they adjust the voltage/duty cycle to the powerhead thereby modulating the pump speed?

My question is driven by the desire to employ Hydor Koralia's in my aquarium using some sort of wavemaker. My Red Sea Wavemaker Pro is clearly incompatible with a long life for my Koralias because the uncertainty in the initial direction of the impeller from a dead stop stresses the pump whenever that start up direction is the wrong direction (the impeller/propeller bangs against the front of the housing until it restarts in the right direction).

Thank you in advance for your response.

Edited by Origami2547

I would think that Koralia's are not compatible with anything that starts and stops frequently. Mine both sound like the propeller is going to go shooting across the tank when they start up. NOT that I've ever heard of that happening... :)

(Okay I lied... a well-known LFS seems to have had Koralia parts strewn all over one of their tanks.)

bob