DSB size

treesprite

Is 12"x12" a big enough area of a 4-6" DSB for a volumn of about 95 gal?

uh, de-nitrification

uh, how much denitrification? It isn't exactly a yes/no question, but 4"-6" is enough to qualify as a DSB.

If you are limited in floorspace, make sure you do the other things that impact DSB effectiveness, e.g., current and particle size.

(edited)

uh, no.

I was wanting to keep it in its own area, which is why I said 12x12, but can do 18x12. Is there really added benefit to going any deeper?

The calculator is only to find out how much sand in weight to fill an area, not how much is needed to be beneficial.

What I am wondering - just out of curiousity - is if it really takes so much area, how is it beneficial to put a DSB in an HOB fuge on a nano like some people do?

Edited by treesprite

There's a european guy over on RC who has a very stark, barebottom tank with huge staghorns growing in it. Anyone have the link bookmarked, by chance? Anyway, he put a clear container in his sump filled nearly to the brim with sand. I'd say it's like 10x12x8 high....something like that, if memory serves.

He did it that way in case it didn't serve its purpose so it could be easily removed. I thought it seemed like a really neat idea.

Tracy

DSB in a HOB fuge won't do much for denitrification. In fact, it won't do much of anything IMO. For that size tank you may want to do a RDSB (remote deep-sand bed) in a 5 gallon bucket. Should handle that size tank. Here's a link: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic20039-13-1.aspx

G.

People do it all the time. The 16g in my office has a DSB about 4" deep over the entire bottom, which in a tank with tall dimensions looks pretty cool (at least to me).

I just finished looking all over the place - everything I see searching the internet related to size has to do with depth and grain size.

People do it all the time. The 16g in my office has a DSB about 4" deep over the entire bottom, which in a tank with tall dimensions looks pretty cool (at least to me).

I just finished looking all over the place - everything I see searching the internet related to size has to do with depth and grain size.

People do what all the time?

Stolen from Anthony Calfo on page 2 of the link I provided:

for a 90g tank... a 3 gall pail of sand with say 40lbs of sugar-fine sand might work nicely IMO. Drill it and fill it as per the thread details mentioned in the link above.

kindly, Anth-

Anthony Calfo.

Edited by gastone

I made my main tank a DSB. I gave up a few inches of depth, but so what. BB is overrated.

DSB in a HOB fuge won't do much for denitrification. In fact, it won't do much of anything IMO. For that size tank you may want to do a RDSB (remote deep-sand bed) in a 5 gallon bucket. Should handle that size tank. Here's a link: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic20039-13-1.aspx

G.

OK G-

I was looking at a HOB fuge with an area 6x20" with the sand 12" deep. Will that do any good at all? I was also going to have LR rubble and macro in it. I'm trying to plan this out properly and don't want to waste the money on all that sand if it isn't going to do me any good.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, are you serious? That's like 50# of sand hanging off the back of your tank. Can your tank take that? I would venture a guess that it would be enough (it's a 65g tank correct?) to handle denitrificaton. Are you going with a DSB in your display?

What I was referring to was they small little HOB fuge a la the CPR units that are like 4.5" wide. To try and add a DSB to one of those units is pointless IMO. I'd save the space eaten up by the sand and just use it for extra room to grow macro.

Steve, are you serious? That's like 50# of sand hanging off the back of your tank. Can your tank take that? I would venture a guess that it would be enough (it's a 65g tank correct?) to handle denitrificaton. Are you going with a DSB in your display?

What I was referring to was they small little HOB fuge a la the CPR units that are like 4.5" wide. To try and add a DSB to one of those units is pointless IMO. I'd save the space eaten up by the sand and just use it for extra room to grow macro.

Garrett - sent PM.

so, still wondering what the minimum area requirement is for a DSB for de-nitrification to be effective in a volumn of about 95 gal (65+sump/fuge)

Forrest, any reason do not make the entire display have a DSB? I can't imagine partitioning off the display to only have a fraction of it have sand... then again I'm pretty unimaginative.

G.

so, still wondering what the minimum area requirement is for a DSB for de-nitrification to be effective in a volumn of about 95 gal (65+sump/fuge)

Forrest,

Go look at Garret's post #11. It looked pretty specific as a rec from A. Calfo....

Tracy

Forrest,

Go look at Garret's post #11. It looked pretty specific as a rec from A. Calfo....

Tracy

Hmm... I think I was confusing that with something else - thanks for setting me straight!