Anyone been to Roozens lately?

rrubberbandman

they're where i got my nice healthy lion from. the facility looked ghetto as heck but there were a very suprisinly low amount of mortalities when i went and the ponds are neat i'd say it's really worth stopping by if you're in the area

Some things never change.

My take on Roozens has always been,

QT everything - just like you would anywhere you bought from.

pick what you want because the selection has often been some of the best in the area.

look over carefully what you pick, much like you would anywhere else you buy from.

be aware that they are a high volume facility and are well known to supply many items found at many other shops.

remind yourself you are planning to provide a much better place for your purchase, and then do it.

FWI.

our trip up north to Mr Coral proved this guys got some great connections out west, maybe better than any shop I've ever been into. I'm sure fish will follow.

Well i was really torn between either roozens or SCALES.......going to be in the D.C. area.....

never been to scales is it hard to get to?

I went out about a week ago, and they were looking surprisingly nice compared to their past performances. Still wholesaler ghetto, but somewhat cleaner tanks than I'd ever seen. Looked like they'd done spring cleaning in the winter.

Well i was really torn between either roozens or SCALES.......going to be in the D.C. area.....

never been to scales is it hard to get to?

nope - really easy, head north at exit 28 on the beltway, it's 8? miles out in Cloverly, in a strip mall on your right.

Scales is nice, but nowhere near Roozens. I'm not sure exactly where you're going to be. I was at Roozen's yesterday - didn't see anything spectacular though it's nice to look around. I usually go there looking for things that are unusual. The ponds are definitely nice - blue face angel and magestic angel in one, barracuda, an angel (can't remember what kind) and what looked like a lieutenant tang in the other. Scales is definitely nicer with better staff but most of their stock is fairly routine. Scales is much better for corals and dry goods. None of the corals at Roozens are particularly interesting so I never bother to look there.

Scales is definitely nicer with better staff but most of their stock is fairly routine. Scales is much better for corals and dry goods. None of the corals at Roozens are particularly interesting so I never bother to look there.

I agree - I rarely go to Scales unless I'm looking for dry goods. I like that they quarantine the fish, but the corals are lacking in selection and rather overpriced (especially compared to BRK, Mr. Coral, and even Roozens).

Roozen's doesn't have much for SPS, but their LPS and softies stock is usually pretty good. Won't find showpieces, but there are some decent zoanthid colonies and brain corals. But hair algae, aiptasia, and the lack of lighting are annoying, if nothing else.

Edited by dshnarw

It's a luck thing with Roozens. They get stuff in and it's gone almost as fast as they unpack it.

You gotta know when they get the stuff to get it.

I don't know when that is. :(

I've only been to Roozens once. I dont have a QT so I wont be buying anything from there until to do. I will say the selection was amazing.

We went to Fish World and Atlantis (both in Richmond) yesterday. I picked up a starfish, a sea slug and 2 true perculas. The clowns already starting hosting my anemone this morning. I was so excited. Fish World's 1200 gallon tank is so awesome and alone worth the trip to see. Fish World had a huge selection of bigger colonies for sale. Atlantis new set up is very nice, it will be alot better once thier systems mature and they are running like the old store I heard about was.

I highly recommend if you have not been to these stores to check them out.

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

I have bought the large majority of my fish from Roozens and have always had good luck. That being said I would call before you go on Monday. I was just there and bought a goby but they had very little available. He said they were very busy this weekend. He said they may postpone the shipment tomorrow if it is to cold and they should get a good amount of stuff on Wednesday.