ro units

treesprite

Would someone please explain the ins and outs of using one to me? If I can get the right kind of fawcett adapter and a small fairly inexpensive unit I will try to do that while I've still got a bit of extra cash.

Roughly how many gallons do the filter cartridges last in this geographical area, and how expensive are they? Do I necessarily need to buy a TDS meter or can I just have someone check for me once in a while? THose are teh only 2 very specific questions I have at the moment, but I'm sure you can give me enough info that I won't have to think of more on my own.

Thanks for the info IA

Hey Forrest, there have been several very long and informative threads on here, so you may want to check those for the pros and cons of RO/DI units. Also, the cost and timing of replacement filters has an awful lot to do with the quality of your filters, the time of year, and your actual needs. In general, low cost units tend to have inferior quality or inappropriately sized filtration and do not always work too well. On the other hand, there are high quality low cost units that can be purchased from some of the online vendors. My recommendation to you is to contact the filterguys.biz, airwaterice.com, and buckeyefieldsupply.com and see what they recommend and what price they can provide to you. Those seem to be the three main companies that people deal with. Also, Marc Levenson/Melev sells a unit that is pretty stripped down that is fairly inexpensive. One thing to determine before you even buy, though, is to see what your water pressure is.

I guess I havent really looked at those threads because of the plumbing thing, but now I see that perhapd I can get an adapter. I'll have to dig through the site for the threads.

I have no clue what the water pressure is in a measurement but it's very strong. I am going to guess that low water pressure interferes with the unit's production or something.

Most membranes, if not all, require a minimum of 40 PSI to produce any water. Prefilters take away from the pressure at the tap, and temperature of the water reduces efficiency of the membrane as well (peak is 74-78 degrees). Lots of water does not equal lots of pressure. Get a PSI meter or borrow one from someone, read your water pressure, and if it's good at least around 50 or so then you should be OK without getting a booster pump (although most membranes are also at their peak at around 74 PSI).

(edited)

Has anyone used one of these "Mighty mites" from Airwaterice?

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/M...h_DI_Added.html

It says it puts out 20 to 50 gallons a day. I only need like 15 gallons a week.

Edited by treesprite

Has anyone used one of these "Mighty mites" from Airwaterice?

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/M...h_DI_Added.html

It says it puts out 20 to 50 gallons a day. I only need like 15 gallons a week.

I have a Reefkeeper-II from airwaterice.com - and have had no problems with it. They are very good people there. You could probably e-mail back and forth with them on the setup and stuff.

bob

I would investigate the price of replacement sediment filters for that unit before making a purchasing decision. Otherwise I think this would be a gret choice for folks with small(er) tanks and no plans to upgrade to a larger tank in the future. If you decide to buy that one, keep in mind that we have at least two supporting vendors that are authorized retailers of AWI products and give them a chance to earn your business!

I would investigate the price of replacement sediment filters for that unit before making a purchasing decision. Otherwise I think this would be a gret choice for folks with small(er) tanks and no plans to upgrade to a larger tank in the future. If you decide to buy that one, keep in mind that we have at least two supporting vendors that are authorized retailers of AWI products and give them a chance to earn your business!

Can you tell me who they are?

If you are concern with the plumbing of the RO unit, don't be. I bought 2 attachments for mine, one for me to use on the outside faucet and one to use on the bathroom sink faucet where i currently have my 30 gal reservoir and the RO/DI unit.

Does anyone use this one?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filter...oduct_info.html

Is this really easy to just hook to the outdoor spigot, or will I need an engineering degree to figure out how to use it? I always see all sorts of tubes coming out of RO units, and have no clue what all it entails.

Need to put an order in today for stuff for the group buy, and trying to figure out whether or not to add this.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Tracy

Does anyone use this one?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filter...oduct_info.html

Is this really easy to just hook to the outdoor spigot, or will I need an engineering degree to figure out how to use it? I always see all sorts of tubes coming out of RO units, and have no clue what all it entails.

Need to put an order in today for stuff for the group buy, and trying to figure out whether or not to add this.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Tracy

No engineering degree is required. It looks like they also include faucet mount for you to hook it up to your washing machine cold water faucet or outside, and a mount to mount to your bathroom or kitchen sink. I highly recommend that you buy an inline tds meter as well so you will know when it's time to change your filter. It comes with an autotop off but no float valve so you will need to get that as well.

Can I just use a timer when I am making water outside? Float valve sounds like engineering to me! LOL

Also, I have no sink in my laundry room, so wouldn't really have a spot for the run-off water.

The outdoor spigot is going to be the production area. :)

Here is the best facet adaptor made: http://www.spectrapure.com/St_fd_valves.htm

QFCA.jpg

I used it for years with great results.

I would also recommend an inline TDS meter. They are relatively inexpensive. That being said, you can get by without one. Just change the DI every 6-10 months and the RO filters every 18 months and you will PROBABLY do fine.

Good luck!

Edited by quazi

The faucet in my kitchen is a funky one that pulls out of the base (so you can use it like a sprayer). It doesn't have anywhere that I could attach an adapter.

Went ahead and ordered the unit. $130 seemed like a very reasonable price for a 5-stage. Will be calling one of you "just plug it in and turn on the spigot" guys if I can't figure it out! ROFL

Tracy

Can I just use a timer when I am making water outside? Float valve sounds like engineering to me! LOL

Also, I have no sink in my laundry room, so wouldn't really have a spot for the run-off water.

The outdoor spigot is going to be the production area. :)

Nahhhh, even someone with two left hands like me can do it (YBeNormal can vouch for that) . all you do is drill a little hole into your water storage container that's large enough for you to attached the float valve to and tighten it up with a little plastic nut. Attached to the float valve is the RO water output tube. Once the water fills up and lift up the float valve, it shuts the water from overflowing your water container.

As for your laundry room, you don't need a sink, you have a place where the water from your washing machine drains into. That's where you will stick the waste water tube into. Piece of cake.

If you had exposed pipes near the area you want to put the RO unit, you can use a Piercing

Saddle Valve. If you are using your bath room for the hook up the afore mentioned adaptor is the way to go.

I run a line to my garden for the waste water. In the winter, it drains into the furnace condesate drain. You can get creative, depending on your enviroment.