dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

tank looks neat, glad it's all coming together! I love my black sand as well!

Thanks Jason - I'm glad too. It's been a long time in the works, so I'm glad to get to sit back and enjoy it for a while.

Not much of an update today, except that I bought 30 tiny nerites (the largest is maybe the size of my pinky nail) while at Mr. Coral last night. Some have very colorful shell patterns, which I'll try to get a pic of sometime. I was looking for Cerith and Nassarius as well, but he didn't have any while I was there. I'm heading over to Virginia next week to pick up some Halodule seagrass, so maybe I can find some at Blue Ribbon Koi.

Other than that...I decided to emphasize all the anemones I have in the tank by putting yellow dots on my FTS, since most are so small they aren't apparent in the FTS. (And these are just the anemones that I know the location of, there are many others within the live rock somewhere, and several in the sump.

This is the FTS from a couple days ago for comparison:

HPIM3505.jpg

And with the anemones marked:

nems.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*...my dot "map" has already become outdated. I found another mini hanging out next to the smaller Borneman anemone (just to the left of the Sargassum in the middle of the tank). Then, I looked closer, and one of the minis in the sargassum leaves had decded to split. :happy: It was about halfway done when I saw it (first time to see the process happening). Took a couple pics, but I don't know if they'll turn out or not - too many leaves and corals in the way for a good focus.

More photos:

Snails...

purty shell:

HPIM3539.jpg

this one actually cleans the glass a bit!!:

HPIM3543.jpg

HPIM3545.jpg

Clam...

I wanted a squamosa...no one has one (or, at least none of an appropriate size). So I got this 3" crocea from Mr. Coral. Simple pattern, no epileptic seizures for me :)

side:

HPIM3548.jpg

top with lights on:

HPIM3550.jpg

just sunlight (tank gets about 2 hours of sunlight a day):

HPIM3551.jpg

New monti...

This is the blue-polyped monti from Mr. Coral that dtfleming and I both got. The base is incredibly white, amazing that the polyps have kept such nice color. I think dtf is hoping it gets a yellow base, I'm almost hoping it keeps the white to have some white in the tank (that isn't a dead coral):

HPIM3557.jpg

Daniel,

tank looks nice. Where did you get your sargassum? I had some that I got on some Florida aquacultured LR a few years ago (all gone now). I loved that stuff. Did it come attached to LR or did you have to attach? If so, how did you do it? I've read that it can be quite a pain to attach.

Garrett.

Daniel,

tank looks nice. Where did you get your sargassum? I had some that I got on some Florida aquacultured LR a few years ago (all gone now). I loved that stuff. Did it come attached to LR or did you have to attach? If so, how did you do it? I've read that it can be quite a pain to attach.

Garrett.

Thanks!

It sprouted out of some of the Florida aquacultured LR. I broke off a piece of the rock that had it and glued it down on some of the Indo-Pacific rock a few months ago. It's grown quite well, up to this point. Recently, it hasn't done much, but I assume that's from the shock of moving it into the new tank. If it gets out of control, I'll break off a piece for you.

Thanks!

It sprouted out of some of the Florida aquacultured LR. I broke off a piece of the rock that had it and glued it down on some of the Indo-Pacific rock a few months ago. It's grown quite well, up to this point. Recently, it hasn't done much, but I assume that's from the shock of moving it into the new tank. If it gets out of control, I'll break off a piece for you.

Daniel,

I have my fingers crossed that the Halodule will grow :)

Garrett,

Gulf Coast Ecosystems (www.live-plants.com) sells the anchored variety of Sargassum. They sent me some as a "bonus" and it's doing well, but I've never had any luck getting frags from it to attach to anything.

-R

Daniel,

I have my fingers crossed that the Halodule will grow :)

Garrett,

Gulf Coast Ecosystems (www.live-plants.com) sells the anchored variety of Sargassum. They sent me some as a "bonus" and it's doing well, but I've never had any luck getting frags from it to attach to anything.

-R

As do I!!

Update for the day:

AAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the Roozen's today looking for anemones and to check out what fish they had. Found a new Phymanthus anemone. Nice green color, but he hasn't come out yet in my tank. I had to thrash the rock it was on to keep the aiptasia to a minimum, and ended up being able to save some nice zoanthids as well. While I was breaking the rock, I found this guy:

HPIM3558.jpg

HPIM3561.jpg

I have no idea what kind he is, but ME NO LIKEY DEE CRABZ! So I'll work on an ID, and then I'll see what I can do with him. So far, he's handled his little floating home pretty well.

Also got a hitchhiking blue sponge, similar to the ones in the pics in the first post of my thread, and some type of bivalve that I'll work on taking a pic of and ID-ing later.

ALSO!!!!!!

I got the coolest anemone I've seen yet! I've been watching it at Roozen's for about 6 months, sitting on it's little rock. Not really sure why no one had bought it, and I find myself staring at it every time I go in. So....ITS MINE!!! Not sure of the ID, but Jos?? said it was from Africa (and was very adamant about it not being Australian), and he'd had it for about a year, and it was the only shipment of them he'd ever gotten. It's about 2" across fully open, including the tentacle tips. It has a decent little sting, not quite as sticky as the mini carpet, but a bit more...painful...(doesn't really hurt, but stronger feeling).

Anyhoo - here he is, after only a couple minutes in the tank.

HPIM3563.jpg

HPIM3568.jpg

He'll be moved into the office tank as well.

Finally....seagrass.

It's not really much to look at right now, and it's hard to get anything resembling a decent shot, but here's a little patch (of about 5 that the seagrass came out of the bag in:

HPIM3570.jpg

Thanks again to lancer for the seagrass!

again again!

looks great

a little traffic for you!

that nem is INCREDIBLE!!!!

so beautiful!

Thanks Sara! :)

More pics:

lil hairy crab with the purty green eyes:

HPIM3586.jpg

HPIM3583.jpg

A. equina??:

HPIM3592.jpg

HPIM3599.jpg

That little crab looks demonic. You should see if Jason wants him for his agressive tank! LOL

tracy

Well, I want to get rid of him. My fiancee, however, has decided he's cute. I told her he was going away...

So.....

I'm setting up my extra 2.5g for the crab tonight...

The crab has his own home now: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19465

Hopefully across the room is far enough away from my biotope. :)

A nano-reef member gave me some seagrass-like Caulerpa today, so I've added that into the tank. Give the tank a very different look - almost freshwater planted tank feeling in some parts. I'll try to get pics later.

I added all the bladed Caulerpa to the display that I got, but I had trouble adding the "suction cup" variety to the display because it breaks easily, and the female clown decided to rip it to shreds. So I stuck most of it in the sump, hoping it'll attach to a rock that I can bury later.

I really need to get a CUC for the sand - as black sand is prone to do, it gets dirty fast. I stir the sand with a dowel rod once or twice a day to keep the sand looking good, but I'd rather have some snails do it for me.

I watched a Nerite fall off the glass and straight into a maxi. By the time I could grab the camera, the snail was gone (inside the nem). Maybe I'll get lucky and catch it spitting out the shell.

New pics from tonight:

FTS:

HPIM3617.jpg

A. equina:

HPIM3620.jpg

Caulerpa, Crocea, Heteractis:

HPIM3621.jpg

Caulerpa, Montipora, S. tapetum:

HPIM3625.jpg

Caulerpa, Crocea:

HPIM3626.jpg

Halomitra, Sargassum:

HPIM3628.jpg

Phymanthus:

HPIM3629.jpg

Montipora:

HPIM3630.jpg

Montipora:

HPIM3631.jpg

FTS:

HPIM3611.jpg

Just keeps getting better and better. Absolutely gorgeous!!! You should be really proud of it!!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy :) I am quite proud of how well it's turned out. Now for the waiting game with the seagrass, can't wait to see it fill out the tank!

Awesome looking tank. I love that new red anemone. If it splits, put me in line for the clone.

Thanks! From what I've been able to gather about them in the last couple of days, they're "spitters", so one day I'm hoping to see a bunch of babies being spit out of it, and then I'll definitely be getting rid of a few ;)

wow that looks beautiful!

Thanks again Sara! flower.gif

On to today's update:

I planned on getting a series of shots across the tank to make a high-res composite FTS today, but after taking the pest pico pics, I'm too sore to continue (there's a reason...I'm getting there).

I went to get some tulip majanos for the pest pico, and stopped by a Scales to get some cerith snails for the tank, and ended up finding another little gem as well...

But first, the reason I'm sore: I was leaving Scales, and stopped at an intersection. The car behind me didn't, and I got rear-ended. She was only going a few mph, but I wasn't expecting it at all, and was turned funny, so I'm feeling like I just went skiing for a week (I suck at skiing, I fall...a lot). Got out, and the lady was about to cry. So I checked the car, and it's nothing but a scratch and some dirt. Nothing to be upset over, especially considering that I've hit curbs and done more damage. Look back up, she's crying. I couldn't help it - I started laughing. I've been in a few wrecks now, and usually walk away with a totaled car, so this is really not worth getting emotional about. So I give her a hug (she was really that upset...), and tell her it's no big deal, don't worry about it, and drove off.

Anyway - lying down is working out better than bending over and messing with the camera and lighting and stuff. Managed to get some shots for the pest pico, and one shot of my new inhabitant.

Scales an anemone hermit crab: http://adc.aims.gov.au/nwhicreefs/cruise/c...ture/index.html which happens to be a species found in Singapore!!! Except...well, I don't like crabs. BUT!!!!! Even better - THE CRAB WAS MISSING!!!! So, I got an empty shell with four new anemones on it: Calliactis armatus

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

HPIM3649.jpg

The tank looks awesome!!! When are we getting to do a tour?? I would love to see your complete setup. From the pics it looks great!! I was wondering, what camera do you use?

Regards,

Boret

Hope you're OK, tank looks great. Me slipping into legal mode - always get a copy of the license and insurance information just in case... you never know!

I'm fine. Just a little tight in the joints - nothing I'm not used to. She did write her info down for me while I was checking the car.

The tank looks awesome!!! When are we getting to do a tour?? I would love to see your complete setup. From the pics it looks great!! I was wondering, what camera do you use?

Regards,

Boret

Thanks! Not sure about the tour...hoping to get the stand covered up first :lol: Looks horrible with plumbing going everywhere...and not a great job of plumbing at that!

The camera is an old HP Photosmart 945, sometimes with 4,2, and/or 1 Tiffen closeup filters, and a tripod. Stationary pics and flash work pretty well, and it has a decent macro mode, but action shots just don't work. I'd like to get a Canon Rebel with a macro lens if I ever find the money (gotta stop buying anemones first).

I was looking through one of the blogs I hadn't looked through much: http://tidechaser.blogspot.com/ and found some new pics that I wanted to make note of.

Another clam pic:

12.jpg

Finally found a money cowry pic - I knew they should be found there based on a distribution map, but hadn't seen pics, so I'm glad to see this one, on the right:

09.jpg

And, a couple that will make Amber laugh:

03epiphylum.jpg

01epiphylum.jpg

The blogger took a break to document the plant blooming at his brother's house (it's one of those that only the bloom opens for one night each year in the middle of the night, and then dies). The rest of the year it's the ugliest thing you've ever seen. Amber's grandmother has one of them and has passed some on to my mother (who doesn't like it so much), and my mother decided to pass the thing on to us in retaliation. mad0011.gif

I've since done my best to kill it before it becomes the enormous ugly blob that my mom has, but it made it through a couple of good freezes and a lack of watering with nothing more than a couple of dead leaves :(