Urgent advice needed!!

treesprite

I was out sick from work the entire week. I was thinking the tank would be fine because there's an auto feeder and light timer, but with having expected on every one of those days to be well enough to go the next day, I didn't consider asking anyone to top off for me.

The SG was 1.030! I dropped it to 1.029. How fast can I drop this to 1.025? There are 3 baby clowns, 3 peppermint shrimp, 5 crabs, a bunch of snails, and a small leather coral. Amazingly there were no casualties!

My powersweep pwrhd was on the bottom of the tank for who knows how many days blasting sand all over the place... what a mess.

I will have to leave a container of fresh water next to the tank, so next time I'm out for a couple days I can ask someone to just pour it in to the red line.

Thanks!

I was out sick from work the entire week. I was thinking the tank would be fine because there's an auto feeder and light timer, but with having expected on every one of those days to be well enough to go the next day, I didn't consider asking anyone to top off for me.

The SG was 1.030! I dropped it to 1.029. How fast can I drop this to 1.025? There are 3 baby clowns, 3 peppermint shrimp, 5 crabs, a bunch of snails, and a small leather coral. Amazingly there were no casualties!

My powersweep pwrhd was on the bottom of the tank for who knows how many days blasting sand all over the place... what a mess.

I will have to leave a container of fresh water next to the tank, so next time I'm out for a couple days I can ask someone to just pour it in to the red line.

Thanks!

Bringing it down a point or so every other day will be fine for the inverts.

The sudden change would be worse than the hypersalinity. I was using a BAD measuring device for quite some time and running my first tank at 1.030-1.032 for months. No problems seen.

bob

I believe you can reduce salinity fairly quickly. It's raising it that needs to be done slowly.

Tracy

That's kind of what I thought if it was only fish, but I have the peppermint shrimps in there and am not sure how they react to the changes. The only coral is that small leather coral I got from the frag fest (not sure what kind it is... it's yellow/tan)... good thing I didn't bring the xenia and feather duster with me today as originally planned.

just to second what everyone else said I would bring it down slowly and not do anything drastic. Just look at it as an excuse to do a water change

Common practice for stores, and wholesalers to drop new fish all the way down to 1.010 or 1.014 as soon as new fish come in.

1.030 is nothing to be terribly worried about. However, if you want you can bring it DOWN very quickly.... as fast as you can change the water. As long as the new RO/DI is near the same temp it is no problem at all.

Most of the snails we keep are not fond of speedy changes to Salinity. Since the S.G. is not off that far, there is no reason to rush it for any of the inverts.

Fish are far more tolerant of speedy drops in S.G.

Natural Sea Water is at 1.0265 or so (doesn't that sound funny, that much specificity and the "or so"). It's not something to worry about. I didn't realize that I had a system running at 1.035 over the summer with evaporation and nothing suffered in that system, it all did just fine. Don't panic, just bring it back to where you want it with your normal water change routine.