Help with anenome attachment

jamesbuf

I was hoping you guys could lend some advice. I just got a purple LTA and I can't get it to stick/root itself to any liverock. Its a pretty small one, with the base being about an inch wide. I have a much larger LTA which is rooted to the bottom of my tank through my 4" sandbed. I've tried but I'm pretty sure the new one is too small to make it all the way down to the bottom. I've got the anenome in a plastic food container with a few pieces of small liverock rubble and it just wont stick. I've seen it stick itself to the side of the container, but nothing else. I have even tried to wedge it between some rock and it still wont attach. Any ideas??

Also, I tried sending Traveller7 a PM but its saying his PM is either disabled or his inbox is full. If anyone knows his email, can you drop him a line so I can get his take on this. Thanks.

I was hoping you guys could lend some advice. I just got a purple LTA and I can't get it to stick/root itself to any liverock. Its a pretty small one, with the base being about an inch wide. I have a much larger LTA which is rooted to the bottom of my tank through my 4" sandbed. I've tried but I'm pretty sure the new one is too small to make it all the way down to the bottom. I've got the anenome in a plastic food container with a few pieces of small liverock rubble and it just wont stick. I've seen it stick itself to the side of the container, but nothing else. I have even tried to wedge it between some rock and it still wont attach. Any ideas??

Also, I tried sending Traveller7 a PM but its saying his PM is either disabled or his inbox is full. If anyone knows his email, can you drop him a line so I can get his take on this. Thanks.

James,

I thought LTAs always rooted in substrate, not on LR. You might want to try burying a piece of rock an inch or two (depending on the size of the anemone) in the substrate, then placing the anemone in a hole above it.

Or just bury the plastic food container in the substrate once it has attached!

-R

Are all of your rocks on top of four inches of sand? I'd guess some of them are fairly close to the bottom glass with sand covering their bases. Try sticking the nem at the base of one of those rocks where it meets the sand. I bet it will find some way to attach.

Keep us posted!!

Tracy

I've seen it stick itself to the side of the container, but nothing else. I have even tried to wedge it between some rock and it still wont attach.

Good news that it has stuck to something, many wont for quite a few weeks or months.

I would likely try the tupperware with 1" or so of sand and one piece of softball+ sized rubble. Move away the sand at the point the rubble and the rock meet, even better if the rock has a cave like opening at that point so the anemone can actually attach to the rock and the tupperware. Back fill a bit more sand around the anemone after it attaches. I find they move in the tank/tupperware far less when they find a nice rock/cleft in the sand.

Maybe get the sand level up to about 2"-3" over the next few weeks.

Alternative is to clear sand away from a similar rocky position in the main sandbed, not sure about your setup, needs for possible relocation of anemone later, etc., etc. I have found tupperware more convenient for me, maybe not the anemone, but me :D

fwiw: PM me on RC for a quicker response.

james I got on this morning to ask the same question and wondered if you were having the same issue as soon as I saw the headline I knew you were hah! mine won't stay anywhere i've tried several places but it just won't stick. i'm going to try putting something under the sand and then sand around it and see if that has any success. If you get anything to work be sure to pm me. I'd love to keep this thing alive, what great color!

James,

The green LTA I got from BRK did the same thing to me. Everytime I tried to get it to attach it would just roam the tank. It finally attached under a rock where you can only see it from the side. I also found out that some of it's tentacles are going through a hole in the rock where my leather is.......the same leather that is not looking so hot.

Steve

Good news that it has stuck to something, many wont for quite a few weeks or months.

I would likely try the tupperware with 1" or so of sand and one piece of softball+ sized rubble. Move away the sand at the point the rubble and the rock meet, even better if the rock has a cave like opening at that point so the anemone can actually attach to the rock and the tupperware. Back fill a bit more sand around the anemone after it attaches. I find they move in the tank/tupperware far less when they find a nice rock/cleft in the sand.

Maybe get the sand level up to about 2"-3" over the next few weeks.

Alternative is to clear sand away from a similar rocky position in the main sandbed, not sure about your setup, needs for possible relocation of anemone later, etc., etc. I have found tupperware more convenient for me, maybe not the anemone, but me :D

fwiw: PM me on RC for a quicker response.

I tried clearing away some sand and planting it in the main sandbed. Didn't work. I had a bunch of of rubble inside a piece of tupperware and it still wouldn't attach. I'm going to try the sand inside the tupperware with a smaller piece of liverock. I'm starting to get worried since the anemone doesn't look so healthy right now.

james mine seems to have attached itself under a rock shelf in the sand... it looks just as colorful as when I got it just did a water change yesterday and everything is looking good.

Guys IMO, Anenomes are a PITA when it comes to having them setup where YOU want them!

IMO, try position them NEAR the area you desire him to be and let them setup. When they don't, give them time to stabilize in the tank before trying to move them again. Give them a chance to catch their breath.

Guys IMO, Anenomes are a PITA when it comes to having them setup where YOU want them!

IMO, try position them NEAR the area you desire him to be and let them setup. When they don't, give them time to stabilize in the tank before trying to move them again. Give them a chance to catch their breath.

LTAs are much different that BTAs. LTA don't roam like BTAs. They usually stay put where ever you put them, but the trick is getting them to stick in the first place. The LTA I had already is in the same position I put it when I first put it in the tank.

PITA?

Extremely a PITA. I just went to look at it and it dug itself out of the hole I made. I'm resting a small piece of rubble right on top of it, then placing sand all around it, but it just wont freaking attach.

A trick mike told me, though im not all together positive the details

is that he takes a piece of PVC piping fills it up with sand, (either sitcks the thing where he wants the anemone or sticks the sand filled pvc in the sand,) and lets puts the LTA in there and then the LTA will work it self down to a desired position and then just build rock around it or already has the rock around it....

i think..

something along those lines im sure it will work. maybe haha

I like my PITA with HUMMUS.

darn, I just did the aquascaping on my 75G on Friday, am giving it some time to settle down (LR and sand both previously cycled). Then I was planning on introducing an LTA (not BTA) first, in hopes it would pick a spot in the sand and not wander, as James mentioned.

But all these difficulties y'all are having getting them to attach aren't too encouraging :(

-R

lol james I wasn't trying to rub it in... just though maybe you had a similar spot in your tank and would have some luck with it