Canister filter recommendation?

lancer99

I'm looking to replace a Renaissance Prime 10 canister filter (no longer made). I broke the housing last night.

It's just used to power an Eheim surface extractor, so the flow rate isn't too important. The Renaissance is 100 gph.

What IS important is that it's easy to clean. Quick-disconnect hoses, and easy to re-assemble without breaking the #$@#$!$ housing!

I know it's old skool low-tech, but I'm hoping someone has a recommendation.

Thx,

-R

I don't know I have an eco ehiem 2234 on my 49 gallon fresh water tank and it seems very nice.... but alot of components are plastic. I don't know for 78$ it could have been worse.

quazi,

Maybe you can help...after breaking the Renaissance, I tried hooking up a Fluval 404 that I got as a "bonus" when buying a 150G tank.

Initially I put the head on backwards (they should design these thing so that can't happen!), but even now that it's the right way 'round, and the ears are locked into place, it leaks.

The O ring is there and looks to be properly seated.

I realize this isn't much info to go on, but any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Thx,

-R

Eheim or a Rena XP canister filter would be a good choice (Eheim being better but more money...).

My canister filter did have a leak issue as well. I used teflon tape and new o rings to correct the problem but I figure if the thing goes to heck in a hand-basket, I'll just take it out, add another power head, and then have my Aqua C remora and LR take care of the filtration (it's a 35 gallon hex FOWLR that I do weekly water changes on).

As far as the problem you have currently, I have no clue. Me and plumbing don't go well together...sorry.

--Mike

I'd recommend an Eheim Pro II. As Mike said, they are not the cheapest option but their are quite, super easy to service and last forever. We've had one running on a 75g FW for the past 6 years and never had any issues with it at all. I used to maintain a few tanks in the local area and some of them had Fluvals. They work but they are nowhere near as well designed as the Eheims.

Thx for the advice guys. Let me explain what I'm trying to do, and maybe someone will have a good solution:

This tank is sumpless, and due to the varying water level from my Eheim 2227, I need a surface skimmer that moves up & down with the changing water level. That's why I have the Eheim surface extractor .

The canister filter is used only to power the surface extractor.

One of these looks ideal, but I just don't have room on the back of the tank.

Any ideas?

Thx,

-R