55 gallons of Malted Barley

Carl

I've acquired a 55 gallon drum that was used to hold Malted Barley...The molassas-type Barley easily cleaned off the drum with soap and water, but

It still has a smell of Barley...how do I clean it further before using it for holding water?

Gallon of bleach?

-Carl

Edited by Carl

Should I put a gallon full strength vinegar in it, and swish?

Or do I put 50 gallons of water, and 2 gallons of vinegar...and let it sit for a couple of days?

If it were me, I'd do the latter. Swishing vinegar sounds like a risky proposition! LOL

Worst comes to worst, it will just end up smelling like barley AND vinegar. :)

T

It takes time to get rid of that smell. I have a 55 gal drum and a 35 gal drum that was used at Pepsi plant to store their Dr Pepper syrup. Even after I washed it with bleach and vinegar, that smell still there. Finally after several months, the smell went away. Just make sure you clean the drum thoroughly before you start using it to store your water.

I'd like to do some independent testing before offering advice. Anyone have a 55g drum of Yuengling they'd like to donate to the research project? :drink:

My water mixing containers were used for orange oil storage. They still smell like orange oil 5 years and thousands of gallons of R/O+saltwater later. Never had a problem with it. So you may be okay with the barley smell. Worst case, you get a faint trace in your water that is taken out by carbon and/or skimming when it reaches your tank.

Justin

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll use vinegar and/or bleach (separately)...and if some smell persists, I doubt it will have any effect long term...as long as I have good skimming and carbon.

-Carl