Problems with Neon Green Candy Cane

jamesbuf

I just lost all my heads of my blue candy cane, and now there is a problem with my neon green one too. The polyps are falling off their skeleton base. Has anyone had this happen before??

Also, I still have both blue and green polyps surviving on the bottom of my sand bed. They just aren't attached to anything. Would it be safe to glue these to a frag disc??

I have no clue, James, but when you get the problem sorted out, I have those green candy canes I got from you. I have no idea how to frag them, but bring your tools and come get some next time you are out here in NoVa.

Tracy

Only about half the heads have fallen off, so I still have around 15 heads or so left. I'm hoping someone will chime in having a clue of whats wrong.

Thanks Tracy, I hope it wont come to that.

James... I believe it's called polyp bailout... I don't recall the answers to your questions, but search over on RC for that.

Dave

this is getting to be more than coincidence now, with you, me, Steve and Dave all seeing stuff like this.

:gho: :why:

Edited by bigJPDC

I had this happen to two 100 + polyp heads about 2 years ago. My parms were totally out of whack and I had not been paying attention.

Test everything and report back. Something is wrong with the water I bet.

I had that happen before as well. When I corrected the water quality issues, the remaining ones came back and there's probably still a couple of free floating heads in the water somewhere. You essentially have all of the living tissue but it has nowhere to retract to any longer. Mine never (as far as I know) developed skeletons again, but I would think that it would be easy for them to do so given the right conditions. I wouldn't glue them down, though, I would simply put them somewhere that they can't float away.

Alk 3.5

pH 8.12

Ca 410

Nitrate 20-30ppm

Nitrate 0

Ammonia 0

don't have a Mag kit and my Phosphate kit ran out

I did a 30gal water change last night, and another 10 today. I finally got my de-nitrator conversion kit in to turn my Koralin Ca reactor into a sulfur reactor. My nitrates are the only thing out of the ordinary. I will say that my all my millis have there polyps out much farther than they did yesterday or the day before. ARG!!!! This is the first coral I got after joining wamas (cbashaw), so I'm definitely hoping it recovers.

(edited)

i have the same coral, it reactes to nitrate, ph spikes, ans alk swings.

So does just about over piece of sps in my tank, and they are all doing fine. Thats what I don't get. Everything else is doing fine except for this piece. Going to continue to do 10gal water changes EOD for the next week and see how it goes.

Edited by jamesbuf