Can someone identify what this is

jnguyen4007

Please take a look at the attached and see if you know what are those white things that are sticking out from underneath my monti plate. I took a look under the monti plate and it looks like it's attached between the monti plate and the frag plate. I don't have a clue what it is and if it's something that I need to remove. Right now, it just look ugly.

My monti plate

VERY COOL PIC:

Looks like an Alien... seriously though I think its sponge growth.

gallery_1692_206_125867.jpg

I would have to see up close to differentiate, but chips suggestion makes sense...and probably more sense since it's looking to find light... and the sponge really wouldn't do that.

That said probably best to remove the runners.

Dave

I would have to see up close to differentiate, but chips suggestion makes sense...and probably more sense since it's looking to find light... and the sponge really wouldn't do that.

Dave

You mean that it's noodles?

Sigh.... you have my condolences. You have the EVIL grey-blue sponge. You will never eradicate it. You will only keep it from taking over your entire tank. Every few days, I grab my tweezers, and pick off pieces of it from everywhere. It WILL grow right on the tops of corals. It WILL spread into the bottoms of your zoanthids, and slowly get larger until it smothers them... Nothing known to man will kill it, but not kill your corals. I have been looking for a nice set of dental scrapers to clean it from rocks and stuff.

The results of a couple good frag-tank pickings:

IMG_1669.jpg

bob

Sigh.... you have my condolences. You have the EVIL grey-blue sponge. You will never eradicate it. You will only keep it from taking over your entire tank. Every few days, I grab my tweezers, and pick off pieces of it from everywhere. It WILL grow right on the tops of corals. It WILL spread into the bottoms of your zoanthids, and slowly get larger until it smothers them... Nothing known to man will kill it, but not kill your corals. I have been looking for a nice set of dental scrapers to clean it from rocks and stuff.

The results of a couple good frag-tank pickings:

IMG_1669.jpg

bob

Just great! Talk about a real pisser banana. Thanks Bob.

If you already have it in your tank, I wonder if you could put it in a refugium and use it as a nutrient scrubber? Anyone, anyone... anyone

The first time I saw the white stringy sponge around here was in Chris' tank and he was cursing it the whole time I was there. I've since noticed it in two stores and in several other tanks. It grows very fast and is very difficult to get rid of from what I've heard.

P.S. I'm not implying that Chris brought it into the club or spread it around, only that I first noticed it while at his house.

The first time I saw the white stringy sponge around here was in Chris' tank and he was cursing it the whole time I was there. I've since noticed it in two stores and in several other tanks. It grows very fast and is very difficult to get rid of from what I've heard.

P.S. I'm not implying that Chris brought it into the club or spread it around, only that I first noticed it while at his house.

I know exactly where I got mine. I thought it was cool-looking and asked for a piece of it. The WAMAS member selling me frags said no.... you don't want it.

Unfortunately, one of the frags had some on it - and I didn't bother to pick it off.

bob

The bright side to this is that it will give me an even more of an excuse to why I should get a larger tank upgrade. Then I can move over what I want and leave what I don't want. :clap:

James

Please treat it like you any frag so I can get the full experience.

you are in for a treat. He will have a little frag pillow and comforter, the worlds smallest powerhead, heater, and ORP monitor...small enough to fit in his customized tupperware containers...little tiny bulkheads and all! :biggrin:

Bob takes pretty great care of his frags!!

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

That stuff is pretty aggresive, I had it on a zoa ock and it eventually smothered out the zoas. I would take the rock out occasionally and pick/scrub it off, but it eventually won out and killed off the zoas. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

The upside is it's pretty soft and fragile. A soft bristled tooth brush will usually take it right off, without damaging anything else. It can smother and it doesn't look great, but it won't kill anything just by touching IME. There are worse problems to have.

John's (Copp's) response when I asked on another thread (about whether any angels will eat the stuff)

"Tracy, I have no clue... while sponge makes up a good bit of the diet on many large angels, these are often just a certain group or type of sponges... With that said, I've seen many of my angels eat sponge within the aquarium... If the system does not have any "meaty" lps and certain soft corals, a Pomacanthus genus angel could be tried..."

T

Hey Bob,

Bring a piece to the MC social Saturday.

I'm interested in seeing it.

Please treat it like you any frag so I can get the full experience.

Okay... although I'd be willing to bet if I put one of those dried out pieces in some water, it would come back to life!!

bob