Tank Glue

Connor

Ive been doing some plumbing for my 92 gallon bowfront. ITs reef ready and has 1 overflow in the back thier are the 2 holes in the bottom of it one return, and one that leads to the sump. Ive done the plumbing throught the overflow but during one of my water tests i saw that one of the pipes was leaking. The way it is set up is their is a pipe that is in the overflow that partially sticks out throught the other side of the glass leading to the sump. Their is a ring type of think that you skrew up on the pipe so that it is tight to the glass and so that it wont leak. My concern is that i wont be able to skrew it tight enough. So back to my question is their a type of glue i could but on both ends of the pipe to make sure it doesnt leak.

Thanks,

Connor

I would remove the pipe, clean it off, clean the glass around the hole so that it's clear of any debris, rinse the pipe and bulkhead off, then put it back on. You should not need to screw it on that tightly or you could crack your glass and/or your bulkhead.

Once it's been glued, there's not a whole lot you can do for it unless you have a welder.

(edited)

ill try cleaning everything off tonight. Its leaking around the glass but not through the bulkhead so i think its not on tight enough. I checked the glass and their were not any cracks in it so i thought that glueing it all would be the best thing to do.

Connor

Edited by Connor

ill try cleaning everything off tonight. Its leaking around the glass but not through the bulkhead so i think its not on tight enough. I checked the glass and their were not any cracks in it so i thought that glueing it all would be the best thing to do.

Connor

Connor, I had a similar problem with water leaking around the bulkhead. I took it to Dan (dandy7200) and it turned out that I didn't tightened it enough. What I ended up having to use to tightened it was to use something similar to a monkey wrench and tightened a bit at a time until the leak stop. I also learned that it's normal to have it leak a drop or two per minute. In the course of a few days, the salt creep would seal up the leak. I'm not suggesting that you should use a monkey wrench because if you have the upper body strength, you could very well easily crack your tank or the bulkhead by over tightened it.

I would remove the pipe, clean it off, clean the glass around the hole so that it's clear of any debris, rinse the pipe and bulkhead off, then put it back on. You should not need to screw it on that tightly or you could crack your glass and/or your bulkhead.

Once it's been glued, there's not a whole lot you can do for it unless you have a welder.

No kidding... I left mine unglued for a week to make sure everything was tight... no leaks. Then I glued it, and now two more weeks later, I have small drips from both overflows. Sigh...

bob

Don't use glue or silicon... will be trouble later.

I didn't hear anything about the rubber gasket.

There is a rubber ring that needs to go on the inside of the tank. With that, and 1/4 turn past hand tight you should have no leaks.

You could just replace the whole bulkhead for around $10.