Need to find out how much power is drawn through an outlet

jnguyen4007

I need to find out how much power is drawn through an electrical outlet so I know if I'm getting close to maxing out the electrical load. I heard there is a device that measures that and I was wondering if someone has one that I can borrow for a day.

Watts up... (name of the product, not a general saying) :biggrin:

I've got one, not sure you want to make the trip to borrow it though, but you are of course welcome as long as I get it back.

Dave

Watts up... (name of the product, not a general saying) :biggrin:

I've got one, not sure you want to make the trip to borrow it though, but you are of course welcome as long as I get it back.

Dave

Dave,

I don't even know where New Market is! Just so I can get a sense of how far you are, how long does it take you to get to Tysons Corner?

Thanks for the name of the device. If I want to buy one, where can I buy it?

James

Are you going to the Mr. Coral social? (I'm near there).

http://www.professionalequipment.com/defau...ogle&pt=pfp

Dave

I'll be out of town this weekend with my wife. Much rather be at the fish social but if I want to maintain my hobby, I'll also have to keep the wife happy. I plan on stopping by Mr Coral before the next club meeting to check out their tanks for sale. If you're around, I can meet up with you and borrow it then and return it to you at the meeting if that is alright with you.

I'll be out of town this weekend with my wife. Much rather be at the fish social but if I want to maintain my hobby, I'll also have to keep the wife happy. I plan on stopping by Mr Coral before the next club meeting to check out their tanks for sale. If you're around, I can meet up with you and borrow it then and return it to you at the meeting if that is alright with you.

That'll be fine...

Dave and James, I'll be there as well and James, you live closer to me than Dave. Do you want me to pick it up and then you can return it to Dave when you drive up there or I can hold onto it until the next officer's meeting?

Oh, one other way is to simply plug things in until it pops! A vacuum cleaner is an excellent indicator of how much you're drawing. Most stuff also has amperage ratings on it, so you could check it that way. For example, my 400W HQI ballasts are at around 4.3 or 4.5 amps so I know that if I run 4 of them on one breaker, that's all I can do (even that is too much for a 20 amp breaker).

Dave and James, I'll be there as well and James, you live closer to me than Dave. Do you want me to pick it up and then you can return it to Dave when you drive up there or I can hold onto it until the next officer's meeting?

Actually, I am also going to the social and since James practically lives in my garage ( :lol2: )...

Dave, thanks for the offer to pick up the watts up for me. Bob is right though, I practically live in his garage. I plan on setting up a rollaway bed in his garage the next time I'm there :biggrin:

Dave, if you don't mind and bring the watts up with you to this weekend's social and give to Bob and I can pick it up from him. I'll give it back to Bob to give to you at the next officer's meeting or if you want, I can bring it to your home.

Thanks again for letting me borrow this.

James

I need to find out how much power is drawn through an electrical outlet so I know if I'm getting close to maxing out the electrical load. I heard there is a device that measures that and I was wondering if someone has one that I can borrow for a day.

James, I have a unit called a Kill a watt, does exactly what you are looking for. You are welcome to borrow it, I have it at the shop.

john

Let me know if you are borrowing Johnnys... if not I'll bring and give the YBe...

Dave

James, I have a unit called a Kill a watt, does exactly what you are looking for. You are welcome to borrow it, I have it at the shop.

john

Thanks for the offer Johnny. That is very nice of you, but I don't feel right borrowing something from your shop. I'll see you on Thur for that frag that I won.

Let me know if you are borrowing Johnnys... if not I'll bring and give the YBe...

Dave

Dave, please give the watts up to YBe... when you see him this weekend and thanks again for letting me borrow it.

James

Thanks for the offer Johnny. That is very nice of you, but I don't feel right borrowing something from your shop. I'll see you on Thur for that frag that I won.

James

James, please, dont feel like that. As long as you bring it back its all good. Its going to be a heck of a lot easier for you to bring it back to me, than it will be to get it back to Dave.

John

Quit bickering and lend it to me instead! That way I can see how badly my wife is going to mangle me when she sees the next power bill with 1600 Watts of light added on, as well as a chiller, a couple of extra pumps...

Quit bickering and lend it to me instead! That way I can see how badly my wife is going to mangle me when she sees the next power bill with 1600 Watts of light added on, as well as a chiller, a couple of extra pumps...

LOL I can only imagine...