Marcos rocks experiences

phisigs79

I have been looking at Marcos rocks for awhile now and wanted to see how happy people are with them. I Was thinking about buying 50lbs from them for my 75g and didnt know if 50lbs dry would be enough to fill out the tank. I am thinking of replacing the rock i have in there now with theirs. This way i can take my time with a rock structure i can be happy

A friend of mine purchased from this place. Nice flat and very porous. Perfect if you want to make a plating table to put little frags on top. Require some cure time when first put in tank also.

If i go this route i am going to cure them for a few months with some live rock to get it going. Just like the idea of being able to take your time drilling, zip tie and glueing them together for the perfect aquascape without have to worry about dieoff. Right now my rock is just stacked and I am always concerned with a rock slide with a barebottom tank.

Edited by phisigs79

physigs,

This is the 50 lbs of Marco rocks I have curing in my 75G:

med_gallery_2631295_300_47843.jpg

That's already more than enough rock for me, but unfortunately I ordered 45 lbs of premium Fiji at the same time!

-R

Thats alot of rock!

Feel free to stop by and check out my dry rock aquascaping project. I am using the same rock that Marco Rocks sells, so you can see for yourself if it is what you want:

IMG_4067.jpg

I am looking for people to help me with aquascaping my new tank so if you are interested in helping, you can get firsthand experience working with the dry rock (drilling, cementing, etc).

I am in Rockville MD so it's a bit of a drive for you, but may be worthwhile though.

Justin

Ask Weap0nX for what he did. He replaced some of his rock with this stuff. I bought a couple of the chunks that he had left over and recently added them to my tank. I didn't cure them, though, just rinsed them off, as I figured in about 650 gallons of water or so it wouldn't make a big difference. Kind of like the frag plugs that say to be careful how many you add at a time to your system without curing them again...

I ordered a box of Marco at MACNA, but then I won their raffle and got the stuff for free :biggrin:

I didn't get the plates, I got the blocky stuff like the top rock on the left of ctenophore's picture.

It looks like a lot of rock because it is very porous. Plenty of room for fish, pods, etc to live inside but solid enough that you don't have to worry about breakage. You get a lot of volume, and particularly a lot of surface area and hiding places.

I spent a lot of time shaping my rock (set up a cardboard tank of the right dimensions), fitting it together, and opening passages to the internal spaces for the fish to get in. (Did I mention that I'm an engineer and a geophysicist?)

Although I found some individual dead critters (small urchin, stars) inside the rock, it was clean enough that I didn't bother to cure it before putting it in my two year old 210g (replacing half my existing rock.)

Almost all my smaller fish moved over to the Marco rock within a day. The rock has been in a couple of weeks, so it's just starting to get coraline.

I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you went to MACNA you probably saw my 85# rock that I brought back. It's going to be my center piece in my new tank. It's been sitting in the Garage since then but it will soon be wet..

As far as I can MARCOS rocks are A++

I am very happy with the Marco rocks. I didn't wash them at all, added them to my 75G, then added 45 lbs of "premium" Fiji (very dense & massive...I'd hate to see what non-premium looks like) two days later. It all cycled in less than two weeks.

Almost all the Marco rocks I got were obviously old coral heads, shaped like a 3D version of a triangle with the point at the bottom. I'm going to Thorite them together, smaller ones on top of larger, in an approximation of a wedding cake. Should provide a good mix of horizontal & vertical space.

-R

I was happy with my Marco Rocks as well. I actually took a picture of some shapes I wanted and sent it to them. Your going to get alot more rock since it's dry weight.

Heres a tank shot of my 120g. The the rocks that are all white are the ones I got from MR.

FTS2.jpg