"cloudyness" is not microbubbles what is it?

Guest Ocean Arcade

Guest Ocean Arcade

It looks like a very fine white powder. It suspends, and drops to the bottom.

I used all RO water. I did make a PVC repair above the water, perhaps the glue dropped a drip in the tank? could that cloud up 1000 gallons?

Could it be some kind of dissolved paper product?

I have one charcoal canister filter running now, and put filter sleeves over the 4 outlet pipes.

How else do i clear the water?

Will I need to dump it, clean the tanks (again) and start over?

Before adding the Ro water I ran tap water for 2 weeks, then wiped out all of the tanks before filling with RO

thoughts?

thanks

Jeff

How long ago was the water mixed, how long has it been in the tank and what type of substrate are you using? Did you rinse the substrate well before adding it to the tank?

Guest Ocean Arcade

How long ago was the water mixed, how long has it been in the tank and what type of substrate are you using? Did you rinse the substrate well before adding it to the tank?

RO water took about 6 days to fill up

I added the salt (from Wally aq. the salt in the blue buckets) 4 days ago.

The salinity was 1.025.

Nothing else has been added. The pumps have been circulating the water since.

I ordered Grunge from GARF, and was going to add the base sand from a local vendor.

Now I wonder if i need to drain and wipe down again and start over.

Could it be something growing?

Jeff

If it was micro bubbles from mixing the SW, it should have cleared by now. Plus you mentioned that whatever it is seems to settle out and drop to the bottom so that should rule out micro bubbles from a pump or filter. It could be undissolved marine mix, impurities that were in the marine mix or perhaps calcium precipitation. Unless the water is very cloudy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your skimmer should remove whatever is floating in the water column.

It could also be a bacteria bloom. I ran my tank with tap water while leak testing and after a couple of weeks it got cloudy because of a bacteria bloom in the water. When I drained it and added RO water it became cloudy again, even after I added the salt. It all went away, however, after a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is persistent. Even then, toss a UV sterilizer on there and that should clarify the water if it is indeed bacteria.

3+ buckets of Oceanic salt added slowly to the system after refilling with RoDi water not yet heated to running temp.

Skimmer turned on last night/this morning.

ALK of 7dkh

Ca over 500

white chalky dusting all over the glass and everything under water.

This is an easy fix and underway now.