hood/ballast help

seppler

Hello, All

After an extended "time off" (I have a good excuse....my son was born this past July :) ), I am now in the process of getting my 75 gallon tank back up and running. Here's the question.

my husband is making a new hood and embedding lights for the 48

Hello, All

After an extended "time off" (I have a good excuse....my son was born this past July :) ), I am now in the process of getting my 75 gallon tank back up and running. Here's the question.

my husband is making a new hood and embedding lights for the 48" long tank. We plan on using 6X 55/65W Power Compacts (qty 4 10K & 2 actinic). We are looking for any advice we can get on the following:

1. Recommended ballasts

2. Recommended reflectors

3. Any design ideas or plans for the hood itself.

Thanks so much

Don't do PC, go to at least T5. The cost isn't much different and you'll be much happier. Just ask Bob. He just took all his PC lights out and upgraded to T5.

IceCap 660 ballast seems to be industry standard. TEK2 reflectors also seem to be pretty good. I'd buy this kit:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...lbs_by_ReefGeek

If you are set on the PC bulbs, look for Bob's post in the For Sale forum - I think he's still looking to sell his bulbs and ballasts.

2nded... do T5...

Ice Cap ballasts are the best, but there are a number of ballasts that are fine.

Retro Kits are easy to come by (BRK has them, you can order online from www.reefgeek.com and others)

Dave

T5s. Since you are installing in a hood. Get the retro fit and ensure the end caps are waterproof. I got mine from ReefGeek and was very satisfied. In the past I have ordered replacement bulbs from them also. But, with shipping costs I can just as well got to BRK and pick up a set.

Nope...this is going to be a VERY LOW MAINTENANCE tank. No T5s (no chiller)...only easy to take care of softies and fish. No big protein skimmer. Just a hang on the back filter that I got from Eve.

And Eve reminded me that her beautiful softies tank was all PCs

I already have all the bulbs I need but I will check out Bob's post for the reflectors.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you allready have the bulbs I understand, BUT the T5s are not hotter than the PCs (and you could use less # of bulbs = less wattage = less cost)...

Dave

What's Bob's user name? Can't figure out which post you mean...

Bob's username is Bob. His post isn't in the selling forum anymore, I guess it's too old. PM him directly. He has bulbs, ballasts, reflectors, etc.

As everyone else said, T5 isn't hotter than PC, just brighter (newer technology). If you already have the bulbs and/or ballasts, go with the PC but build with a possible upgrade to T5 in the future.

~Brian

Nope...this is going to be a VERY LOW MAINTENANCE tank. No T5s (no chiller)...o

No Chiller required!

You have bogus information about T5s if you believe that.

Switch to T5 and you will not be sorry, no matter what the tank inhabitants are; fish only, softies, sps, lps, or just a tank of water.