UV Sterilizer

Guest mola-mola

Guest mola-mola

Got no reponse tagging this question on another post so am starting a new one here. Anyone? I'm in the process of buying equipment for my 220g (mixed reef with lots of smallish schooling fish, e.g., chromis, anthias, cardinals, maybe bannerfish)

"...I've done research on UV sterilizers and know the pro's and con's -- at least in theory from what I've read. How about personal experiences? Is it worth it? Is it overkill with a strong skimmer and frequent water change? Can I use it sparingly only in the event of algae blooms? Will killing all the beneficial bacteria and plankton negate its purported benefits?"

"...I've done research on UV sterilizers and know the pro's and con's -- at least in theory from what I've read. How about personal experiences? Is it worth it? Is it overkill with a strong skimmer and frequent water change? Can I use it sparingly only in the event of algae blooms? Will killing all the beneficial bacteria and plankton negate its purported benefits?"

IMHO...

Yes, it's worth it.

No, it's not overkill even with a strong skimmer and frequent water changes.

Yes, you could use it only during algae blooms but why not use it all the time and why are you planning on having algae blooms in the first place?

No, it does not kill all beneficial bacteria and plankton.

You will probably get answers running the full gamut from "avoid them at all costs" to "I would never run a system without one". All I can say is I run mine 24x7 and have no plans of changing that anytime soon.

I'm newer, but years ago we left this hobby because of frequent fish kills via ich. The first thing we did on our new system that we couldn't afford was to buy a UV sterilizer.

Ditto Ybenormal on this one for us, but we sure don't know much.

The first thing we did on our new system that we couldn't afford. . .

:lol: Followed by many other things that also weren't in the budget I'm sure!

Guest mola-mola

Great, thanks everyone. I guess it doesn't hurt to have one (except on the wallet). Txaggies, can you elaborate on settings for algae or for parasites? Can you vary the intensity (?) or efficacy of the light? I haven't read anything to that effect.

Great, thanks everyone. I guess it doesn't hurt to have one (except on the wallet). Txaggies, can you elaborate on settings for algae or for parasites? Can you vary the intensity (?) or efficacy of the light? I haven't read anything to that effect.

It has to do with flow rate. Drsfostersmith has an article on it. If you look for UV sterilizers it shows related documents in the top right. Algae doesn't need very long for the UV to kill it. However, parasites need a little more dwell time.

I run mine 24x7 on a closed loop. Everything has been healthy for 2.5 years, no algae blooms too. As far as life in the water column, I only have a 90g, not the ocean. I don't expect to have what is out in the seas. That is why I feed, add supplements, etc.

I use an AquaUV. On there website and in the 2008 catalog print from Marine Depot, they have a chart explaining the size of UV filter, capacity and flow rates to effectively kill algae to pathogens for both salt and fresh. Based on this, I sized my pump based on its location and return plumbing distance to the tank to get the maximum kill ratio.

BRK sells the AquaUV as of the last time I was there. Talk to Johnny their about their use, sizing and benefits.

Edited by rioreef

I run mine 24/7, but I would stay away from AquaUV units, I've had it for 1 1/2 years and had to replace the ballast twice, the warranty is only a year and they won't work with you and aren't very nice on the phone. But when its running it does the job. If your setting up a 220 gallon tank, I would go with at least a 57 watt unit.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

if your still on the fence talk to howard about using UV after he lost his whole tank to ich after not running his for a few weeks.

Edited by lletellier

• 2 weeks later...

Does a UV add much heat? How to compensate? Fan? Chiller?

William

I don't know how much more heat it adds. I run a 25 W on my 30 gal tank and I didn't notice any difference in temp.

James

Guest webshout

Great! Thanks for the feedback. I just got a 36 watt for my 75g. I wanted to hook it up this coming weekend, but then thought about the heat.

Thanks again,

Happy New Year!!

William

• 3 weeks later...
Guest webshout

I finally got the Turbotwist hooked up last night. :) Have not noted any increase heat yet. Will monitor closely. Fingers are crossed.

William

Guest webshout

You won't notice an increase in temp.

You will however notice a clarity in the water so you might consider shortening your light cycle for bit.

I'll do that.

Thanks for the tip.

William