Zoa and Mushrooms Bleed?

st9z

Silly topic but I have to ask....

I was cutting up zoas yesterday off the rock and one of them spatter reddish brown goo :( is it "zoa blood"? Same thing happen when I was cutting up mushrooms. Also what kind of knife would you recommend to cut a zoa clean off in one swipe? I tried the pumpkin cutter and its not very effective.

Be careful not to get that on you! It is real nasty stuff!

Had a close call one night cutting palys. They can squirt like a spitting cobra.

Safety goggles: <$5 at HD

Not being blind: priceless

Had a close call one night cutting palys. They can squirt like a spitting cobra.

Safety goggles: <$5 at HD

Not being blind: priceless

Agreed, very potent stuff contained in these corals, some one should drag up the steveoutlaw thread.

I'd say it's not blood persay, at least not in the literal sense of the term I think you're using. It is fluid, it did come from inside the animal, but blood, probably not really.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 120 Gallons

Be careful not to get that on you! It is real nasty stuff!

Yeah be careful, enough of it can kill you (From Zoa's). Calfo mentions it in his propagation book. He got a tiny bit of it in his mouth on 3 separate occasions. Yuck.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah be careful, enough of it can kill you (From Zoa's). Calfo mentions it in his propagation book. He got a tiny bit of it in his mouth on 3 separate occasions. Yuck.

I read about that too. He used a towel once to dry off his face and went numb because he had used it while fragging zoas.