Starting a 150

bertsch

I am about to purchase a 150 gallon tank, to which I noticed this evening the tank is not drilled. So my question is should I consider getting the tank drilled for a sump, should I go with this 925 gph canister filter or should I consider going with an ovrflow box?

I am not certain if the glass is tempered, so drilling might be out of the question

what are you planning on doing with the tank... that will determine your filtration needs

I plan on making the tank an aggressive FOWLR tank.

The tanks dimensios are 72x27x18

I used to have a 75 gallon tank with three triggers and something else but I cannot remember what. I ended up giving it to a friend because we were moving and I was having problems with it because I put the wrong kind of sand in there. So instead of starting over with the tank, giving we were going to move I gave it to a guy on wamas, keeperofthereef.

I will have LR, crabs, snails triggers and something else thats it

The Fluval FX5 is a completely different beast than the other '05 series canister filters. Awesome, awesome piece of gear. Easy to work on, moves a ton of water and has massive filter media capacity. We've helped a number of customers with FO systems in larger non-overflow tanks like this using the FX5 and a decent hang-on protein skimmer and it works well. Add another pump or two (like Koralia powerheads) inside the system to ensure adequate flow inside the tank, especially near the live rock.

A certain store also has these for a bit cheaper than the link...

I am biased but would say I am a strongly believer in drilling. I just think it give you so many more options. If you drill you still can use a canister filter if you wanted.

I am not ready to get on the filter yet, I am still in the process of completing my basement. I am getting stuff for it as I move along. I know I am going to have a tank down there, so I am getting but at the moment the basement is only framed. I am a couple months away from having it completed.

I am thinking of getting an FX5, and an over flow box with 625 gph, to then have a smaller sump available and then put an in sump skimmer into.