Coralife Super Skimmer Help

albatross666

Hi

I have a Coralife 65 skimmer and it collects a bit of gunk, so its working.

Here is my setup:

55 gallon tank

70 - 80 lbs live rock

6 fish (3 clown, 2 gobies, 1 young angel - 4 inches)

Now, is there a beneft to upgrade to a Coralife Super Skimmer 125? The Super Skimmer 125 has great reviews and also has a drain line.

Any advise appreciated.

Hi

I have a Coralife 65 skimmer and it collects a bit of gunk, so its working.

Here is my setup:

55 gallon tank

70 - 80 lbs live rock

6 fish (3 clown, 2 gobies, 1 young angel - 4 inches)

Now, is there a beneft to upgrade to a Coralife Super Skimmer 125? The Super Skimmer 125 has great reviews and also has a drain line.

Any advise appreciated.

Welcome to WAMAS!

IMO the SS 65 is probably a little small for a 55 gallon setup.

There's a huge thread on Reef Central about some modifications you can do to it that will slightly increase the performance, but altogether it's a very underperforming skimmer. Here's the thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=899299

It's several pages long, with some good info.

I wouldn't suggest the 65 for anything over 40 gallons. I had one on my 40, and I was getting maybe a 1/4 cup of dark green stinky stuff out weekly, which I thought was pretty good. I just upgraded to a ASM G1, and all I can say is there is absolutely no comparison. My best advice would be to save up and get something with a little more firepower, but as long as your bio-load isn't terribly high, that will get you by. Any skimming is better than none at all.

-Brian

Edited by bprinehart

I had a CSS-220 on a puffer tank and you're right, it did pull out quite a it of gunk. For the price, there are few commercially available skimmers that will keep up with them. I found myself spending a lot of time adjusting and cleaning it though and upgraded to a BubbleMaster. I still have the CSS-220 but it is sitting in a corner gathering dust. PM me if you are interested.

I had a CSS-220 on a puffer tank and you're right, it did pull out quite a it of gunk. For the price, there are few commercially available skimmers that will keep up with them. I found myself spending a lot of time adjusting and cleaning it though and upgraded to a BubbleMaster. I still have the CSS-220 but it is sitting in a corner gathering dust. PM me if you are interested.

Hi

The trouble is that I have partial credit towards the SuperSkimmer 125 if I choose to upgrade my skimmer. So the only upgrade option is towards the SuperSkimmer if others can also give feedback on using a Coralife 65 on a 55 gallon tank.

Thanks!

id give that thing away for free if i wasnt electrocuted by it. do yourself a favor and upgrade to a quality skimmer.