Purple Lobster

mling

I am thinking of getting a Purple Lobster for my FOWLR tank. Does anyone have any experience with it to share ? I understand that it will like to barrow. I have a Pistol Shrimp in my reef tank. Will the Lobster barrow as much as a Pistol ? Is it compatiable with other inverts ?

It will barrow more, but also it will attack sleeping fish. I not sure if it will do anything to your pistol shrimp, but is very aggressive.

Eric

i used to have a purple lobster. it does burrow most of the time. depend on where it pick it hiding place which for me is the rock facing the back of the tank so i never get to see it. Also I have a smaller pistol shrimp which is like 1/3 of the lobster but bully the lobster all the time. One time I put them in a 5g bucket together and the pistol shrimp break off the claw of the lobster right in front of me, it was a loud snap.

I have a purple lobster in my classroom tank. I never see it unless it's really early in the AM and the lights are off. The fish sleep in the rocks and it does not pick on them at all. It does bull doze things a bit, but since this tank has just a dusting of sand on the bottom, it doesn't affect anything. The rock all sits directly on the bottom of the tank so is very stable. I have never had problems with these types of lobsters except for tunneling in a tank where the rocks are on the substrate instead of the bottom. This particular one is very shy, but the other one I had before was not.