SPS parasite control

davelin315

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.php?art...=52&clang=1

What do you think of this? They tried camel shrimp to eradicate flatworms, montipora snails, and red bugs and apparently if you're careful enough, you can get them to gorge on the parasites before they touch the flesh of the coral. I'd be interested in looking into this as a possible future resource, anyone have an infestation that they'd like to try it on?

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.php?art...=52&clang=1

What do you think of this? They tried camel shrimp to eradicate flatworms, montipora snails, and red bugs and apparently if you're careful enough, you can get them to gorge on the parasites before they touch the flesh of the coral. I'd be interested in looking into this as a possible future resource, anyone have an infestation that they'd like to try it on?

Find me something that eats those green bubbles. Actually - I'm pretty sure my big Sally Lightfood did... because i've only really started seeing it in my display since she went carpet-surfing.

bob

Find me something that eats those green bubbles. Actually - I'm pretty sure my big Sally Lightfood did... because i've only really started seeing it in my display since she went carpet-surfing.

bob

sally lightfoots go carpet surfing? Do they crawl out of the tank?

sally lightfoots go carpet surfing? Do they crawl out of the tank?

No ... just mine. She was getting BIG - probably 4" across. I guess she felt adventurous. Found her halfway across the room. Probably an hour too late.

bob

How come? Just the cost upkeep or what, seemed like a neat idea to me?

Tell me how you would implement this "new" parasite cleaning system into your reef tank reliably, easily, and cost effectively.

I didn't realize sallys get that big.

I think the shrimp idea is cool.

Cool, yes. Practical, no.

so it would seem

Dan,

I actually think it's VERY practical... in fact if I was a shop owner I would definitly test it out, and then offer it as a paid service...

It says specifically to maintain a seperate tank for the "cleaning" station (don't add them to your main tank).

I have half a mind to give it a try... Anyone have flatworms?!?? (seriously)

Dave

I'm with Dan on this. I applaud the search for a biological control for these buggers, but I don't think this is the solution.

Putting corals in a tank with something that eats them doesn't seem like a good solution to me. For Redbugs interceptor works with minimal impact on your reef. For flatworms the dips (Betadine, TMPCC, Levamasole), will kill or remove all the flatworms on coral. Seems doubtful that the shrimp would be able to get all of them, even down into the little crevices of the coral where only the worms can go. More likely they would clean out the flatworms they could easily get to and then start in on the coral tissue.

I'm not saying its not worth further investigation and testing, I just don't personally have high hopes for this one. Unless you have a 100% kill or removal rate, it would not be effective as a dip because you would still be introducing the pests to the all-they-can-eat buffet that you call your reef tank.

Of course, I decimated most of my colonies with levamasole, so what do I know? :cry:

Dan, you are way off base on this. All you need to do is add a queen trigger to take care of the camel shrimp after they have finished off the parasites.

Sounds a lot like adding mongooses to take care of a mouse problem in a chicken house.

If I might ask a newbie question without hijacking this thread:

So, we brought home some mushrooms, cheato, and digitata from the WAMAS meeting and have it all in a QT tank. How long do we need to hold them? And, do we dip corals (ALL corals? Even mushrooms?) in any case before introducing to the display tank?

What is standard proceedure for coral transfer husbandry?

Interesting, but not likely to prevent infestation long term. It is illogical to expect natural predation to eliminate 100% of a prey item 100% of the time.

It appears to be a high effort low yield approach.

Dan, you are way off base on this. All you need to do is add a queen trigger to take care of the camel shrimp after they have finished off the parasites.

Sounds a lot like adding mongooses to take care of a mouse problem in a chicken house.

LMAO

If I might ask a newbie question without hijacking this thread:

So, we brought home some mushrooms, cheato, and digitata from the WAMAS meeting and have it all in a QT tank. How long do we need to hold them? And, do we dip corals (ALL corals? Even mushrooms?) in any case before introducing to the display tank?

What is standard proceedure for coral transfer husbandry?

3 weeks. Not really a concern with dipping shrooms but ich can transfer via corals and macroalgae.

LMAO

3 weeks. Not really a concern with dipping shrooms but ich can transfer via corals and macroalgae.

THANKS!

Dan,

I actually think it's VERY practical... in fact if I was a shop owner I would definitly test it out, and then offer it as a paid service...

It says specifically to maintain a seperate tank for the "cleaning" station (don't add them to your main tank).

I have half a mind to give it a try... Anyone have flatworms?!?? (seriously)

Dave

I HAD flatworms... but they seem to all be gone.

bob