Moving stuff from MH to T5s....

steveoutlaw

As part of the breakdown I'm going to be moving all of my rock and corals from my tank into a rubbermaid tub. I'm also going to be going from 250w MH, 2x24w T5 and 2x95w VHO actinics to just 4x39w T5s and 2x95w VHO actinics. Do I need to be worried about any problems?

Anyone? Bueller?

Acclimate and be prepared to reduce/increase distance from fixture to target. Any opinions would really be guesses, you are just going to have to fire them up and watch for your corals reactions.

Might help to acclimate them to new lighting before removing them from the main tank so it is one less stress during the move.

Good luck.

Acclimate and be prepared to reduce/increase distance from fixture to target. Any opinions would really be guesses, you are just going to have to fire them up and watch for your corals reactions.

Might help to acclimate them to new lighting before removing them from the main tank so it is one less stress during the move.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm hoping it won't be a huge shock since I already have some T5 and VHO actinics on the tank right now. How would you acclimate them? Start the T5's high off the tub and gradually move down?

I would probably phase out the MH on the existing tank and watch how the corals respond - that will give you an idea of which ones will need to be high, which ones low. Start with the T5s over the tub 6-8 in, move up or down as necessary. You want to avoid the shock of suddenly dropping the MH.

My acclimation process with my T5 setup.

Eggcrate over the tank and add 4 layers of fiberglass screen over the system. Every three days remove one of the screens.

I do not move the lights, I just shade. The corals respond great and never a loss.

that sounds to me like a neat idea... I'll have to remember it for future reference

As part of the breakdown I'm going to be moving all of my rock and corals from my tank into a rubbermaid tub. I'm also going to be going from 250w MH, 2x24w T5 and 2x95w VHO actinics to just 4x39w T5s and 2x95w VHO actinics. Do I need to be worried about any problems?

You say you're going to kill my monti cap?? Now why would you do that?

Wah!!!

bob