RBTA and Clownfish

st9z

New Experiment I did. Many might have done this before but I'll share with you all my wonderfull experience.

I want my clownfish to host my anemone so badly. Unfortunately I couldn't find any tips anywhere in the forum except "if it happens it happens." Also a lot of ppl say it is not common to see an ocellaris host a RBTA. Soo I decided to target feed my RBTA every night after all the other fish goes to sleep. I figure if I do that the clowns will be a little interested in the anemone and might one day gain the courage enough to host. After 3 days of target feeding the RBTA at night I give you this....wooHoo :)

Now if only I can get Kirbmy to share with Nemo.

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

Wow that's great. My Tomato Clowns took right to my BTA but I have Ocellaris Clowns in another new tank and they don't seem interested at all. It's just the two clowns and the BTA. Would you suggest I try this? Do you think it matters what time I do it since they are the only ones in the tank? It's only been a few days since the Clowns went in. Should I leave them all alone for longer or do you think it's safe to start trying this now?

Thanks

Wow that's great. My Tomato Clowns took right to my BTA but I have Ocellaris Clowns in another new tank and they don't seem interested at all. It's just the two clowns and the BTA. Would you suggest I try this? Do you think it matters what time I do it since they are the only ones in the tank? It's only been a few days since the Clowns went in. Should I leave them all alone for longer or do you think it's safe to start trying this now?

Thanks

Have you feed your anemone any food before? I dont see why you couldnt try it, but if you havent feed your anemone before just feed it a small portion of food and see how it takes it for a couple of days first before jumping in.

I had my anemone on the far left of my tank when it was small and fed it every couple of days so that it would get big enough for my clowns. After a month it double in size and I felt like it was strong enough for the clowns to host soo I move it to the middle of my tank where the clowns like to hang out and did the experiment.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to do the "experiment."

Thanks

You should take note Scott, that RBTA is a relative of the one you have. Nice color huh.

Good to see your clowns have found a new home. :bb:

just curious... do you want clowns hosting in an anem that small?? I know the anem takes a beating but will it do any damage, especially when it is barely bigger than the fish? Either way congrats!

You are very lucky!!

My percs will follow me around if I am in front of the tank so once when I was bored I sat in front of my RBTA for over a half hour, forcing them to swim very close to the RBTA. I thought I saw them thinking about jumping in but that could have just been the margaritas. They do not care at all, but I am going to try that target feeding trick.

just curious... do you want clowns hosting in an anem that small?? I know the anem takes a beating but will it do any damage, especially when it is barely bigger than the fish? Either way congrats!

Great question. Perc's and Ocellaris tend to be a bit more gentle on anemones then some of the bigger bruisers. It is still a good idea to try and stay in the 3x anemone to 1x clown ratio. Reason being, quite a few clowns chew on tentacles.

I would expect the female to let in the male in a few weeks, especially if you get that anemone to grow out a bit ;>)

Great job, Niki!

Clever thinking! Now, good luck getting anything done for the next few days. All I could do was watch the clowns. Even now, a flash will catch my eye, and it is one of the clowns dive-bombing the anemone. So much fun to watch!!

Tracy

Great question. Perc's and Ocellaris tend to be a bit more gentle on anemones then some of the bigger bruisers. It is still a good idea to try and stay in the 3x anemone to 1x clown ratio. Reason being, quite a few clowns chew on tentacles.

I would expect the female to let in the male in a few weeks, especially if you get that anemone to grow out a bit ;>)

The anemone is actually pretty big. It practcally double in size seem James gave it to me. The pics above were taken at night when the anemone is all shrunk and small.

Here is a day pic of one happy anemone. James the colors are great! Tracy, I know what you mean. I couldn't sleep all night in my room so I had a lil sleep over in front of the tank. My back hurts but it was all worth it.

DSC02766.jpg

You are very lucky!!

My percs will follow me around if I am in front of the tank so once when I was bored I sat in front of my RBTA for over a half hour, forcing them to swim very close to the RBTA. I thought I saw them thinking about jumping in but that could have just been the margaritas. They do not care at all, but I am going to try that target feeding trick.

Thanks a bunch! Good luck to you. Make sure the anemone is full first and that he leaves a couple of food strains on the sides. Hopefully it would entice your clowns to come close and eat.

Awesome. I can't wait till I am ready to introduce my clowns to the anemones I got at the fall meeting. I know my clowns will all take the anemones right up. All my clowns have had an anemone in the past, but their anemones did not make the move from TX as well as they did. :(

Hopefully soon enough. Sad thing is, I have to get the BTA big enough for my maroons. The LTA I got will go with Tomatos and the LTA is already very big.

• 2 weeks later...

new rbta i purchased from Khanh over the weekend.

DSC02867.jpg

after a couple of hours after using the feed the anemone method the clowns jumped in

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

thats huuge, is it a bta or lta?

I thought it might be an LTA too when I saw it on Khanh's auction. It has that more open center and scattered tentacles. I've seen a red one before though.

Tracy

The old rbta is to the left of the new one. They seem to get along fine and they havent sting each other. Its a RBTA with a huge mouth :) Only wish my female clown would share at least one of the anemone with the male. I feel sorry for the guy.

Only wish my female clown would share at least one of the anemone with the male. I feel sorry for the guy.

LOL

Mine shares, but the male sleeps in the shrooms at night.

Just last night I watched the female chase the male out of the anemone, which I've never really seen her do before. As I walked over to the tank to take a closer look, the lights went out. Amazing! She already knows when "lights out" is, and wanted him gone so she could get her beauty sleep. :)

Tracy