Refugium

lletellier

Now that my tank is up and running I want to get my fuge going. I want to know what I should put in the bottom as well as what kinds of macro algae I should use. If anyone has cheato or anything else and can bring it to the meeting it would be greatly apriciated!

In my fuge I have a 2 inch sand bed (basically Leftover sand from my display) with live rock rubble, and 3 different types of macro algae... your more than welcome to stop by my house and grab some... I probably live no more than 7 minutes from you.

Josh

Lance, IMO caulerpa is not the way to go. Although it functions well inre to nutrient consumption, it can be extremely invasive if it gets into your display. I would prefer chaeto only. Most people would probably tell you a mix is best, and I would agree that diversity probably is best. But if you every transfer anything between fuge and display, the caulerpa can catch hold and it is a nightmare to eradicate IMO.

BTW, I have both in my fuge.

Garrett.

partition off an area for a deep sand bed if you don't already have one. make it at least 6~8 inches deep. Add to this as many different cupfulls of live sand from other people's tanks as you can aquire. It increases bio-diversity. I went to Puerto Rico on vacation a while back, and I brought back a spaghetti sauce jar full of wet sand that I got from offshore. I also had another jar full of wet sand from offshore of a beach in south Carolina that my dad got for me. (don't take sand from the shore, it's dirty. You have to be willing and able to swim out quite a ways to get to the stuff that is less dirty.) I also added cheato, caulerpa, and some red algea that was at BRK, and some live rock. Some folks here might think it crazy to add ocean sand like this to the tank, but I have been doing it since I started this hobby over 2 years ago, and I have nothing but positive results from this. I believe my tank has a strong diversity of micro critters, and I think it is one of the reasons my tank is doing well. By the way, I need to remove a bunch of cheato and caleurpa from my fuge, so if you want some you are welcome to it.

John

:cheers:

On a side note, I have heard several horror stories about how bad caluerpa can be, but I seem to have luck with it. I regularly take handfuls of it from my sump, and dump into my display to feed my tangs. They love the stuff. I have never had a problem with it attaching or growing in my display. I am not sure why it seems to work for me, and not others....

Edited by madmax7774

I wish I could, but I am not coming to the meeting. My wife (director of redecorating, weekend activites, and budgeting) scheduled a weekend event that conflicts with the meeting. Since my parents are in town visiting from Atlanta, my veto powers are temporarily suspended in favor of family gatherings..... :(

On a side note, I have heard several horror stories about how bad caluerpa can be, but I seem to have luck with it. I regularly take handfuls of it from my sump, and dump into my display to feed my tangs. They love the stuff. I have never had a problem with it attaching or growing in my display. I am not sure why it seems to work for me, and not others....

I think that if you have a display tank large enough to hold tangs, they can keep it in check. Those with display tanks that are too small for tangs should stick with chaeto. At least that's what I've inferred after reading up on it.

Tracy

I use a small 70 watt halogen light bulb that they sell in lowe's for $5.99. it goes into a regular lamp socket, and works great. in fact, the stuff grows almost too fast in my tank.

I have a hob cpr fuge so I don't think I have to worry about it going into my display, as far as the deep sand bed i've heard so many things for and against them that I'm not sure. I think for the time being i'll go with the cheato and red algea just to play it safe.

I have a HOB fuge too. Although I have sand, it's only a 1lb or two of live sand, as I worry about the weight. Some LR rubble and chaeto, and it's worked beautifully!

It's actually easy for stuff to get from the fuge to the main display (unless you put something over the return to prevent it), so don't think stuff won't migrate.

Tracy

I've got a brace under my fuge that is mounted to my stand so I could fill the whole thing with sand and not having a problem. Also I don't know what kind of hob you have but the way mine is I don't think it would be very easy for anything to get in the drain, if it was an issue i could just use a filter pad before the return to the tank.

I had a little problem ... annoyance I guess ... with grape caulerpa trying to take over the fuge. I have two other kinds of caulerpa in there now, and chaeto. Easier to handle so far.

bob

I have the CPR fuge. Water overflows from the middle (fuge) compartment to the outlet and there is a pipe for the return that goes down to about 1/2" from the bottom of the chamber. It's very easy for something to break loose from the fuge, flow into the return section and get sucked down and through the return pipe.

Putting filter floss or something in there would probably inhibit pods and stuff from getting to the main tank too, not just the macroalgae.

I've found small pieces of chaeto in my display tank, but since it doesn't attach, it's easy to remove.

This is purely FYI. If you want caulerpa, go for it! Just wanted to share that things can definitely migrate.

Tracy

Would it be good to put something sand sifting in there? Some type of star fish maybe or sifting crabs?

Maybe some other inverts?

I don't see a problem with it.When I had my 125 gallon up I ran a 55 gallon sump with a section set aside for a fuge.I kept a peppermint shrimp, snails,hermit crabs and emerald crabs in there.They would eat any food that drifted through my overflow down to my sump area and also helped keep my fuge area clean.

Edited by dmward99

Would it be good to put something sand sifting in there? Some type of star fish maybe or sifting crabs?

Maybe some other inverts?

Yes to sand-sifters and inverts but a big NO to the sand-sifting star fish IMO. Read here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sndsftstrfaqs.htm.

A good detritus and algae eating clean-up crew is what you are after, particularly those that might reproduce (or at least try) so their eggs and larvae will feed your corals. For sand sifters stick with nassarius snails and worms.