MH ballast question

jnguyen4007

I read somewhere that MH electronic ballast is better than magnetic ballast. OK, I don't know why. Can someone clarify? Then I go to sites like Champion Lighting & Supply and I see small ballast such as those by Icecap that says electronic. I also see PFO ballast, PFO pulse start ballast, and HQI PFO ballast. Are the PFO ballast magnetic then? Talk about confusion.

James

I thought it was the other way around for the most part. I thought magnetic ballast had higher par while electronic were more energy effiecent

I thought it was the other way around for the most part. I thought magnetic ballast had higher par while electronic were more energy effiecent

I think it was in drfostersmith catalog where i saw that it said electronic ballast is better than magnetic. i'll take a look later on today from home and see if I can find it again.

"Better" is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. Magnetic ballasts will often overdrive lamps, giving more PAR, but shorter life. They are also less expensive. However, you have to match the ballast to the bulb, because a