Clown vs. anemone

FishWife

So, since my clownfish started hosting the anemone, two issues:

1. The anem's tentacles aren't as extended or active or near its mouth.

2. The clownfish impedes my ability to get near the mouth of the 'nem. (And flow is also an obstacle.)

How do you folks with hosting clownfish feed your 'nems?

I had one idea: buy a clear funnel, put it over the anem, and use turkey baster to squirt Formula One or mysis in there. Would that work?

So, since my clownfish started hosting the anemone, two issues:

1. The anem's tentacles aren't as extended or active or near its mouth.

2. The clownfish impedes my ability to get near the mouth of the 'nem. (And flow is also an obstacle.)

How do you folks with hosting clownfish feed your 'nems?

I had one idea: buy a clear funnel, put it over the anem, and use turkey baster to squirt Formula One or mysis in there. Would that work?

First, the anemone should be getting meaty foods, i.e. mysis, cut fish(silversides/lancefish), krill, etc.

Second, when feeding the proper foods, the anemone should grab the food with tentacles and bring it to it's mouth.

Skip the funnel and the turkey baster(with the exception of getting mysis in the general area when spot feeding other inverts).

Anemone may be getting a bit beat up by the clowns, post a picture :>)

I think that Formula one is meaty... no? Anthony Cafco specifically recommends it.

I know how to feed it, thanks. Did so just fine before the clownfish hosted. Actually, the first day of hosting, I fed the clown, who conveniently dropped in the food into perfect position. But this day, she didn't drop it, she removed it. :(

Yes, it is getting beat up a little, I think... is this normal? If not, how to prevent? I mean, that's what they're there for, to live together. I don't want to remove either; no good other place for either of them. Hmmm.

My anemone tends to even grab pellet and stuff out of the water. Every other week or so, I will grab up about half a cube of semi-thawed mysis with my reef tweezers and place it down near her mouth. She seems to take it with no real trouble, and the clowns tend to let her have it.

I don't think anemones need to be fed nearly as often as some people think. Then again, I am far from an expert on the subject, but seem to have a healthy, thriving one. (LTA though, not BTA, if that makes any difference)

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

I think that Formula one is meaty... no? Anthony Cafco specifically recommends it.

In my experience, VHP is the better option within the Ocean Nutrition line, it does not disolve as quickly. Not to mention, if the anemone is not showing a distinct feeding response, I would not presume it is feeding.

If you have to worry about the food being centrally located, there is a problem.

It is a rare piece of brine, mysis, or other meaty food that flows by a tentacle in my tanks. regardless of flow. If the anemone does not grab the food right out of the water and drag it in, it is not the right food.

Yes, it is getting beat up a little, I think... is this normal? If not, how to prevent? I mean, that's what they're there for, to live together. I don't want to remove either; no good other place for either of them. Hmmm.

BTAs can get quite large(20" across) and withstand much more abuse at such size. Smaller ones in a group tend to have the abuse spread around allowing them to tolerate it better.

In my experience, VHP is the better option within the Ocean Nutrition line, it does not disolve as quickly. Not to mention, if the anemone is not showing a distinct feeding response, I would not presume it is feeding.

If you have to worry about the food being centrally located, there is a problem.

Thanks for that: I misspoke, I guess. It has shown feeding responses in the past, but not so much since the clownfish got into it. I have PE Mysis; I'm going to try that tonight.

Any thoughts on better times of day to feed?

Thanks for that: I misspoke, I guess. It has shown feeding responses in the past, but not so much since the clownfish got into it. I have PE Mysis; I'm going to try that tonight.

Get a stethoscope ... listen for the growling tummy! :)

I only have a Stichodactyla Tapetum - but it eats when everything else eats. Nothing that resembles food gets within its reach without being consumed. Although I used to get a real laugh when my Sally Lightfoot crab would steal mysis from the anemone. Maybe that's why it went carpet-surfing; thought it could find the SOURCE of all food... "It's somewhere out there! I know it is!"

bob

I am not sure what Anthony recommends these days, I prefer VHP over Formula 1. Since most folks don't play with VHP much, I would assume most recommend Formula 1.

If the mysis does not provoke much of a response, try fish based, non gel binder meals like cut silversides or lancefish. Not a bad treat for larger clowns either, my Gasters go crazy for lancefish.

If the clown is stressing the anemone, you may want to try feeding after lights out or early before lights come on. Clowns tend to become quite lethargic overnight.

fwiw: If you need to catch a clown, wait until the lights have been out for a few hours and scoop them right out of the anemone without much effort at all :)

fwiw2: An anemone missing a few meals is not a large concern as long as the tentacles are not shrinking, it isn't going into hiding etc.

Post a current picture, stress indicators are pretty visible :)

Cheers.

I use VHP for my fish from time to time because it's so packed with protein; excellent for juvies and new arrivals. Tends to lesson the stress. I never thought to feed it to my BTA. I feed my BTA vitamin enriched frozen silversides. Break off a chunk and thaw it out then place into the anem's tentacles and it immediately grabs the food and works it towards it's mouth.

Maybe the problem is that you are feeding it food that is too small for it to grab and move toward it's mouth? Mysis is pretty small and it would take a pretty good amount of that directly fed to the anem or it to trigger the feeding response? Years ago when I had an LTA, I would drop freeze dried shrimp or thawed cube of VHP into the tank and my clarkii would bring it to the anem, then the clarkii would eat. Now with my misbar perc, I have to manually feed the anem twice a week with silversides because the perc doesn't feed it's anem.

It may take a few tries with several different foods until you find what your anem prefers, but I would suspect that once you try a more solid substance, you anem will grab hold of it right away.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

I squirt mysis at my GBTAs and they have the tendency to move it very quickly towards the mouth. One of them also split because of such feedings.

As far as who you should listen to for advice, listen to Scott! He's incredibly knowledgeable regarding anemones and clownfish and I would trust him on his opinions. In fact, Scott, are you still a moderator over on RC? Also, have you had a chance to look at the K-12 forum? I posed a question in the hopes that you would wander over there and give me some advice.

Have you noticed the clown taking food to the anemone? Every clown I've had has grabbed some of the food I offered it and fed it to the anemone. Would certainly explain the newly developed decrease in feeding.

In fact, Scott, are you still a moderator over on RC? Also, have you had a chance to look at the K-12 forum?

Yep, they keep me hanging around on RC for some reason. Frankly, I am still learning about these critters every day. Dropped a few opinions in on the other post.