Mojito Anemone?

discretekarma

I got a coral from someone a few days ago and on the coral was a few very pretty small thing that almost looked like a cross between an anemone and a green flower. I don't have a picture and I can't find one online. Tonight someone told me that they will spread all over the tank if this is what I have. I came home and tried to pull a few off with tweezers but they wouldn't let go and I think I smooshed a few of them. Will smooshing them make them spread? Are these mojito anemone?

Thanks

I tried earlier to pull one off with tweezers and smooshed it so I may have spread a some there but I think the piece that smooshed, stuck to the tweezer. I just took some wire cutters to the coral and cut apart any sections that had any on there. I found about 4-5 majanos that were about 1" each. I'm glad I caught this early. I basically ended up cutting the coral in half and then cut off the majano's. The coral was nicer as a whole piece but I'd much rather have 2 pieces with no majano's. Thanks for the quick response.

Are Majano anemones really that bad? I have some that came on some rocks. They have not multiplied in the few months that i have had them and I like the way they look. There are a bunch of them on my liverock in my second tank where I grow out baby tomato clownfish. Do you think they would hurt the clownfish? Should I get rid of them?

Wreck

Majano anems are a big debate - rio obviously had some fairly invasive ones. On the other hand, I had a couple for several years, and they never spread anywhere, nor did they sting anything. There's certainly nothing wrong with them in a species tank setting (and they can be VERY nice looking).

Are Majano anemones really that bad? I have some that came on some rocks. They have not multiplied in the few months that i have had them and I like the way they look. There are a bunch of them on my liverock in my second tank where I grow out baby tomato clownfish. Do you think they would hurt the clownfish? Should I get rid of them?

Wreck

In a fish only system they are not a problem, I think. The problem with them in a reef tank is that they spread rapidly and will sting and kill your corals.

Majano anems are a big debate - rio obviously had some fairly invasive ones. On the other hand, I had a couple for several years, and they never spread anywhere, nor did they sting anything. There's certainly nothing wrong with them in a species tank setting (and they can be VERY nice looking).

The majanos in my tank have not spread but have grown a bit. I think they are nice looking with their green tentacles. I am going to keep a close on them in my reef tank.

In a fish only system they are not a problem, I think. The problem with them in a reef tank is that they spread rapidly and will sting and kill your corals.

Everyone had me really worried so I went to work on the majanos in my baby clownfish tank. I injected each one with a kalkwasser mix. I just mixed 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water and injected .5 ml per anem. Should I use a stronger mix and inject more per anemone?

Bandit- BTW- Everything( T. Gigas, scribble rabbitfish(daughter named him Daze), blue/green chromis(Bling), serpent star, and hermit crabs) I got from you are doing well and very happy in my tank.

Wreck

No wonder I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was searching for Mojito Anemone and kept getting a subliminal urge to forget about the tank and go out drinking. Now I'm back on track.

Thanks.

hahaha :clap: sounds like a good idea :cheers:

my friend has these in his tank I warned him tonight, he has one though with red tips and it looks really nice.. kinda a shame.

Guest Aurora

Majano will sting other corals especially SPS and LPS. Take them out as soon as you see them because they are a pain to remove when they do decide to take off.

I started with one! I had no problem with it, then slowly the numbers increased. Over the couse of about 5 years, the entire rockwork was infested.

Run away now.

I started with one! I had no problem with it, then slowly the numbers increased. Over the couse of about 5 years, the entire rockwork was infested.

Run away now.

Mine died during a move. I'm actually kinda sad about it - they were very nice color.

Maybe I'm biased though - I like anemones period...

This thread makes me want to start up a pest nem nano tank again...

If you want some Majanos, I have plenty of them to give away. They are Brown/orange with green tentacles under 14k MH.

Mine died during a move. I'm actually kinda sad about it - they were very nice color.

Maybe I'm biased though - I like anemones period...

This thread makes me want to start up a pest nem nano tank again...