Sick Scopas Tang - need advise

mling

I purchased a small, 2", Scopas Tang, 5 days ago. This Tang arrived at the LFS in Centreville more than 2 weeks ago. It was very active and looked great. I put it straight in my FOWLR tank after acclimation Yes, I know, I should have it in QT first but I figured that since it was at the LFS for 2 plus weeks, it should be OK.

From day 1, it has and still is feeding great, on flake and live brine.

Last night I notice very tiny pin size white spots on it, at first I though it was micro bubbles from the skimmer. Lucky for me, I have never had Ich on my fishes before but I think this might be it. I remember hearing the hypo treatment is a good way to threat Ich. So last night I set up my 10Gal hospital tank with 50%(4Gal) water from the main tank and the remainder with fresh RO/DI. The SG in this hospital tank is 0.016. Had a hard time catching this Scopas but that is a good sign of it

looks like ich to me. Being that you have a fowlr tank you may be able to treat the whole tank. I've read good things about Kick Ich and its reef, invert, coral safe not that you need all that.

Marine Depot

Edited by Nitro Junkie

1. Most likely

2. Hyposalinity is common treatment for ICH. You need to run this for at least 28 days or so to make sure you have gone through a complete life cycle. You could also run a commercial copper based treatment, since it is in the hospital tank. You can even do this in conjunction with the hypo. Just make sure that you buy a test kit that is compatible with the copper solution that you are using so you can monitor the copper (or cupramine depending on the treatment) level in the tank.

3. Most likely, however since it is a FOWLR you could try to lower the SG in the main tank and run it in hypo too. Then watch the fish to see if there is an outbreak. If it does show up in the main tank, quarrantine and treatement will probably be required.

I think many have gone the ICK route. I had 2 bouts about 7 months apart; each after adding a Tang to my 150 mixed reef. With help from (Grav) I added a 40 watt sterlizer and did the "kickIck" treatment. It is slow and somewhat expensive in a big tank. I just couldnt stand the thought of a break down and 6 weeks etc. The second bout was when I added my Hippo tang. Same thing but less severe because of the sterlizer already working. John a@ BRK has said that there is always some ICK in nature and it will rear its ugly head when fish are stressed or not eating well.

I have decided to live with the ICK (IN REMISSION?) in my tank. The kick ick does work but it is a gentle treatment and you need to treat, and retreat. It takes about 2-3 weeks, turn off your skimmer, watch your water chemistry and pray. I now have a happy and growing Hippo and have not seen any outbreaks in 2 months. I consider the fact if I add another new fish that I may need to do another treatment. Needless to say I stock 2 big bottles of Kick Ick just incase....... Good Luck PS I am running salinity at a higher level. About 1.030.

Edited by Bob

Thanks for the advise. I have a FOWLF tank BUT I do have 2 Bubble Tip Anemone, for my maroon clown who is always in one BTA or the other, only leaves either one to feed. For this reason, I would rather not put medication in the main tank if I can help it. Once I added MelaFix and the BTAs didn't like that too much, though it did recover.

How low can I go with the SG in a hospital tank ? 1.010 ?

Any one know how low I can take the SG in my primary tank without hurting the BTA ? I figure I should lower the SG there too to fight any Ick still there.