Temperature during acclimation process

rsarvis

I find that when I'm drip acclimating, the tank temperature being added is easily dominated by the temperature loss of the water in the bucket. So what do people do, put a small heater in the bucket you're dripping into? Or should I just go back to the pouring-water-every-5-minutes-into-the-floating-bag method?

i drip then float

Drip while floating. Use a dosimeter to dose the water into the new container that is floating.

fab

I float and clip the bag to the side of the tank so it doesnt blow around and use a turkey baster to suck water out of the bag and to pour water back into the bag. Works great

are you rinsing the baster between taking water out of the bag to sticking in the tank to put water in?

I use a big tuperware contaner. Fill it about halfway with warm tap water (slightly above tank temp). Into that, I set a smaller (about half the size) plastic container to drip acclimate livestock in (kind of like a doubler boiler). Ideally the smaller container is tall enough so it can set on the bottom (and doesn't float around or flood with tap water).

I stick a thermometer in the tap water. Once that drops below the ideal temp I add another cup or so of hot tap water. Works great and you can keep the temperature stable for hours with little effort.

-S

I drip acclimate in the sump, floating the bag there so that it reaches tank temp while taking the drip from the display tank up above. Periodically, I have to empty some of the water out of the bag, but it's pretty much on autopilot otherwise. Seems to work well that way.

Edited by Origami2547

nah , its such a tiny amount of water a few drops hasn't hurt anything

theres no way to know what micro critters are in those few drops

I drip acclimate in the sump, floating the bag there so that it reaches tank temp while taking the drip from the display tank up above. Periodically, I have to empty some of the water out of the bag, but it's pretty much on autopilot otherwise. Seems to work well that way.

I might have to try that -- but in the meantime, I just float the bag and add tank water every 10-15 minutes for an hour (more the for corals).

Matt

theres no way to know what micro critters are in those few drops

ah come on , the same thing could be said for when you net a fish you've had aclimating the same amount of water the soaks the net is no different than what is left on the turkey baster or if you have livestock that you cannot expose to air you have no choice but get some store water in your tank