holy chaeto, Batman!!

zotzer

Granted, I am a total noob, and I know that this stuff grows like a weed, but holy moly!

When I set up my tank in late August, I added about a quart sized volume of chaeto to the refugium. Since I am setting up an aquapod, and the cycle seems about finished, I decided it was time to transfer some over.

Well, I pulled it out (it's a HOB refugium, so although I can see it, I can't *see* it), and it was at least a gallon in volume. This stuff has quadrupled in size in only six weeks!!!!

Anyway....this is probably ho-hum to most of you, but I was totally blown away.

Anyone know where I can get one of those clip-on tiny daylight lamps? I peeled some plastic off the back of the aquapod, but think I'd like to get a little more light on it on a reverse light cycle.

Thanks for bearing with the constant awe of the noobster.

Tracy

home depot or lowes will have the clip on lights you seek. also algae grows at different rates in different taks for example. chaetomorpha does not like my water. i have had mmuch more success with grape caluerpa. varies based on species as well

I think caulerpa likes my water better than chaeto, but it's easier to tell with caulerpa not being in a big curly mass.

Does it mean the marcro which shows the most growth is doing a better job as a filter than the other one? If so, would it stand to reason to stick primarily to the faster growing type?

hey guys don't know what happened to my chaeto but for some odd reason its disappearing! seriously one night I had a fuge full of the stuff but now it has recede to the point to where I have to look for it under rock cliffs... :eek:

anyone know why?

does anyone have any I can have?

THANKS!

I built my refugium about a month ago and put a fist sized ball of chaeto in it. I run three bulps for 12 hours. The 16" cube refugium is now almost solid chaeto. I had high nitrates before and now its too low to messure. The chaeto is teaming with pods and little brittle stars. Anyone want some? I am in Germantown MD.

I am new to this also. Should I be throwing out some every week or so. Its starting to push out of the water its so full. If I should chuck a bunch is there any trick to getting the pods and other good food life out of it? Every time I rotate it my fish line up under my sump return.

Edited by rdavidw

you have to harvest some of it once in a while

Guest Aurora

David,

I'm in Rockville and can take some chaeto off your hand. I have some nuisance algea in my tank and my refugium can benefit from some chaeto. PM sent.

Duc

If I should chuck a bunch is there any trick to getting the pods and other good food life out of it? Every time I rotate it my fish line up under my sump return.

I would just swish it around in some new saltwater and pour it into the tank.

Don't think you'd save it all, but it would be a nice fish meal! LOL

Tracy

I built my refugium about a month ago and put a fist sized ball of chaeto in it. I run three bulps for 12 hours. The 16" cube refugium is now almost solid chaeto. I had high nitrates before and now its too low to messure. The chaeto is teaming with pods and little brittle stars. Anyone want some? I am in Germantown MD.

I am new to this also. Should I be throwing out some every week or so. Its starting to push out of the water its so full. If I should chuck a bunch is there any trick to getting the pods and other good food life out of it? Every time I rotate it my fish line up under my sump return.

David,

I'd like to get some Cheato from you also if possible, especially since it's full of pods and other critters since I'm trying to get some pods back in my tank that seem to have disappeared for some reason over the years.

Charles