corals

Guest smal12

Guest smal12

Hello I have a three gallon deco nano reef cycled ready to go. I have bionic A & B, calcium, zooplankton, dt , the whole nine yards. So I need to know what kinds of coral i can put in with a 50/50 power compact.

I will take any suggestions.

Also if you know any one who sells cheap coral or possibly will help any one in need of free coral.

Thank you for your time,

Shawn M.

Hello I have a three gallon deco nano reef cycled ready to go. I have bionic A & B, calcium, zooplankton, dt , the whole nine yards. So I need to know what kinds of coral i can put in with a 50/50 power compact.

I will take any suggestions.

Also if you know any one who sells cheap coral or possibly will help any one in need of free coral.

Thank you for your time,

Shawn M.

Hi Shawn.

You'll want to be carefull about feeding the 3G. In a tank that small water quality can go south fast.

I'd put some zoas in there maybe a few small muchrooms or rics. Think about things that will stay small and not outgrow your tank too quickly.

As for selling corals I suggest you join WAMAS. It'll be the best $25 you spend in this hobby. As a member you get access to the selling forum. You'll find lots of nice corals there way below retail pricing. Also lots of folks sell and trade corals at the meeting. (Our fall meeting is coming up in Oct) You'll also find members will often give away an easy frag or two to help someone new start their tank.

Chris

Welcome Shawn!!

It'll be the best $20 you spend in this hobby

WELCOME! :cheers:

I have a nano also, if you want to look at my gallery to get an idea on what you really would like your setup to look like... oh and join wamas its a good investment...

Welocme to the nano world! A 3 gallon is pretty small, so I'd steer clear of any fish for the time being. I've kept a 2.5 gallon for over 3 years, but only added a fish after the first 2 years. I put in a yasha haze goby/pistol shrimp pair. The yasha goby quickly outgrew the tank. I just moved everythiong over to my 30 cube.

One thing you'll have to be aware of is that anything you put into that tank will grow. Some corals will grow quicker than others and you may find yourself running into coral warfare depending upon which corals you add. Some corals, like mushrooms, GSP/star polyps and some species of zoanthids are very aggressive growers and can quickly overtake such a small tank. I'd avoid those (made that mistake early on in my nano). You will end up having to trim back corals, which makes for some good trading here at WAMAS.

Keeping an eye on your water chemistry is really important, especially if this is your first tank. Make sure you keep up with daily top off's of RO/DI water and check the salinity daily. Water params: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

You mentioned you have a 50/50 PC light. What's the wattage on that?

IMO I would skip the two part solution. In a tank that size you can do weekly 100% water changes and replenish alk and calc. Do a search on RC in Dr. Randy Holmes Farley's forum. He has a sweet little nano tank and that's how he does it.

Good luck.

Garrett.