Taking the plunge, sort of speak

edfkbf

Greetings!

After doing significant research three years ago, and I decided to forego the saltwater tank. I instead bought a 29 Gallon tropical fish tank, which I have enjoyed very much.

I decided recently to upgrade to a much larger tank and create an African Cichlid environment: However, when I was in the fish store(s) today, I was again drawn to the saltwater fish, and decided that if I were going through the expense of an upgrade, I might as well get what I want.

Thus, I am drawn back again to WAMAS! I knew I had to wait until I had more time, and money, to make the investment/commitment. Now I'm ready; however, I'm a still a bit nervous about making the plunge into going through the process of buying the tank and all the equipment.

I have the room, and want, about 180-210 gallon saltwater tank. But I am a bit overwhelmed by the process of going about buying a large tank. Large tanks are not on display at many stores (... and I wish there were more stores in the N. Virginia area...). Most appear to order the large tanks on the internet and have them shipped to the store, but do not ship to your house. How do people feel about internet purchases regarding price? Stores better?

At any rate, I was wondering if others have gone through this state of inertia/confusion... None of my friends share this interest so I am glad I have WAMAS to express my anxiety about venturing into this great hobby!

Edited by edfkbf

You first move should be to spend the $20 to become a member. The money you'll save by buying used equipment will make up for the $20 a hundred fold. My first purchase as a wamas member was buying a used $600 skimmer for only $200. I made my $20 back 20 fold on my first purchase. I can guarantee that you won't regret it. There is a reason why everyone continues to spend the $20 every year, because its worth it. Not to mention the incredible discounts on livestock you'll find here.

Do a search here and on reef central for tank builds. A lot of people like to document the work in progress, and you can gain lots of insight into the decision making process and lessons learned that way.

You will find that on this side of the river, most members are partial to Blue Ribbon Koi and Fins and Feathers for fish stores. Talk to John at the former and Sean at the latter and they will both give you lots of good advice and good deals. Wallys and Superpets also have large selections as far as tanks go.

A lot of thought and planning now will save you a lot of regrets later. It can be hard to change things once you get water, rock and livestock in that glass box.

Another thing to consider -- start with a smaller tank, maybe 55 or 75, and make your mistakes there. Then you can apply all those lessons to your upgrade after a year or so.

Or you could start with a 220 and your upgrade will end up being a 500. :) Sooner or later, it seems like we all want a bigger slice of the ocean.

Take your time. I too was overwhelmed a few months ago, and made ill-advised purchases because of haste. After frequently reading the boards here and on RC, I have made great strides in my understanding of the hobby. Patience will do wonders for you, and so will buying the WAMAS membership. Good luck!

def join WAMAS - I have a build thread in the Members Section going right now. I bought a lot of parts that weren't quite appropriate for the reef setup I wanted to have - reading a ton of info over the last year has taught me a ton. I have since reappropriated those parts into a fish-only aggressive tank, and acquired many parts that are much better suited for the reef tank build in progress. Oh, and as for savings buing from club members - my first purchase was a $800 chiller for $300, next was a 120gal AGA RR setup with stand, sump, lights, and mag12, I'd value it around $1000 for $475. You will save a TON of money - not to mention the advice, and when you go to buy stuff, most people on here don't want to just sell it, they want to make sure it's the right thing for you and that you get it installed and running properly. Go slow, read a lot before you buy anything and WELCOME!

As far as your tank - look into the differences in AGA, Oceanic, Starphire glass, and Acrylic. Once you decide which of those you're interested in, that will narrow down your selection. For tanks, I recommend ordering in a local shop - I know Scales will deliver and set up, so if transporting is your issue, you may want to give them a call. Andrew is who I usually deal with, and he has always been great.

~Brian

Make a trip to BRK. John and his staff can help you get a grasp for what is needed. They also have a 175g bow front display tank (similar to the 180-210.)

Tell em Phil sent ya.

Wanna talk fish/corals? I live in Vienna so I'm pretty close to you. Maybe if you're interested you could swing by some weekend or something for a fish room tour and I could loan you some books or something. Just PM me and we can work something out.

Also check out my website below...