coral ID needed

modelrr

encrusting montipora..anyone know what the name of it is? or is it just 'orange encrusting monti' :)

DSC02340.jpg

Edited by modelrr

Guest NSC

That is an encrusted frag.

encrusting montipora..anyone know what the name of it is? or is it just 'orange encrusting monti' :)

DSC02340.jpg

That is a colony, a very nice colony at that.

I thought *this* was digitata??

OrangeMDigitata512.jpg

Tracy

Montipora Digitata

I doubt it is a digitata ... not because it CAN'T have that growth pattern; but it's pretty uncommon to frag a flat piece of encrusted digitata - you usually frag off a branch. Now I have one that prefers to encrust more than grow 'digits' - but even with that one, the only time I took a 'flat' frag off was when it was heading straight towards some zoa's that I wanted to rescue.

It's a very pretty orange encrusting coral - almost certainly a montipora - but only time will tell if it will also grow branches.

bob

Guest NSC

I will stick by my original diagnosis Bob as the digitata frag I have from you looks identical to it and if you look at the frag it is already looking for the highest point to start its upward type growth, hence its "hump" like appearance. The digi frag I have from you I placed horizontally from its upward growth to precipitate a fuller colony and already it has numerous bulbous outgrowths so it will grow fuller than the run of the mill digi stick type frag presented on the market...only time will tell with this particular frag however unless we can get some expert input. BTW I love mine Bob the polyp extension are second to none! :bb:

Also what you fail to see in Tracy's pic is the actual base of the colony, which I believe would have a very similar tight polyp grouping much like the frag, and very unlike the actual encrusting monti types.

I will stick by my original diagnosis Bob as the digitata frag I have from you looks identical to it and if you look at the frag it is already looking for the highest point to start its upward type growth, hence its "hump" like appearance. The digi frag I have from you I placed horizontally from its upward growth to precipitate a fuller colony and already it has numerous bulbous outgrowths so it will grow fuller than the run of the mill digi stick type frag presented on the market...only time will tell with this particular frag however unless we can get some expert input. BTW I love mine Bob the polyp extension are second to none! :bb:

Also what you fail to see in Tracy's pic is the actual base of the colony, which I believe would have a very similar tight polyp grouping much like the frag, and very unlike the actual encrusting monti types.

I hope you're right! If that's a digi, and it keeps that color when it goes vertical - it will be about the most awesome digi ever.

Timothy - do you own that frag? I only need about a 3-polyp chip off the edge.... :)

True - to some degree. The smallest frag I've successfully grown was a red montipora cap from 143gadgets; he had given it to someone else, and just a scrap was left on the rock. I got two 'glitter' sized pieces with one polyp each. It is now a little over 1/2" in diameter.

bob

Edited by lanman

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I just realized something .. I actually have a much larger/more developed frag in my tank - I'll have to take a picture of it and post.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I just realized something .. I actually have a much larger/more developed frag in my tank - I'll have to take a picture of it and post.

Excellent idea!

Bright orange is not a common color in the tank. Makes that a very desirable coral.

bob