Should I stock my refugium?

rdavidw

you should put a bunch of liverock or liverock rubble in it. I don't know what you mean by stocking it... you shouldn't put any fish down there unless you need to isolate them for some reason, and you shouldn't put anything in there that would eat the macros and pods otherwise it's not a refugium.

Thanks Forest and Chris

Forest, I was thinking about adding stuff like this, no fish:

* 10 Spaghetti worms

* 10 Bristleworms

* 10 Nassarius vibex Snails

* 5 Cerith Snails

* 50 Amphipods - Gammarus Shrimp

* 50 Mysis Shrimp

* 4 Medium Feather Duster Worms

* Micro Star

* Miscellaneous worms

* Mini Star

I just dumped in a bunch of old shells and left over rubble from my main tank. Does it matter if it

I personally would just add all that stuff to the main tank. Make sure to seed the sand with some sand from the main tank and leave it at that. Add maybe one or two nassarius snails to keep the top layer of sand stirred. Don't turn your refugium into a second tank. Have a deep sand bed there for denitrification and leave as much room for macroalgae growth for the same purpose.

Thanks Forest and Chris

* 10 Spaghetti worms

* 10 Bristleworms

* 5 Cerith Snails

* 50 Mysis Shrimp

* Micro Star

* Miscellaneous worms

* Mini Star

I just dumped in a bunch of old shells and left over rubble from my main tank. Does it matter if it

Edited by Rascal

I think I was taking for granted that so many of those live things come on liverock - put the liverock in there and you're likely to have a lot of that stuff, especially if you get it from more than one source.

I think I was taking for granted that so many of those live things come on liverock - put the liverock in there and you're likely to have a lot of that stuff, especially if you get it from more than one source.

No, that's probably right. It's just that some of us aren't that patient sometimes. :blush:

Thanks Forest and Chris

* 10 Spaghetti worms

* 10 Bristleworms

* 5 Cerith Snails

* 50 Mysis Shrimp

* Micro Star

* Miscellaneous worms

* Mini Star

Well it is really up to you on how you want your refugium to work. However, if it were me I would limit what goes in there.

All I have in mine is a big ball of Chaeto macro algae. I know some like to do a deep sand bed in their refugium. If you were to do that, you may need some sand shifters to keep it clean. I personally don't like live rock rubble in the refugium. I find that it ends up making the refugium a mess. Oh and as it was pointed out, you would need a light to grow what ever algae you decide to put in your refugium. You could put some feather dusters in there if you like. However, I would just put them in the main tank so I could look at them.

My fuge area where the cheato grows is about 6" x 12" x 14" deep. I have only one of the lights like yours and I have tons of grows. The whole section is filled with the algae and grows top to bottom. I do rotate the mass every week.

The stars I put into the sump <3/4" have multiplied from about 10 to infinity. THey are everywhere now. In the main tank too. They especially like tight spaces because I always see tons together in those locations.