Waterproofing the inside of my stand.....

steveoutlaw

I want to water proof the inside bottom of my stand to if there are little spills (float switch fails, fitting gives way, etc.) it won't get the carpet soaked. I plan on putting a bulkhead fitting in the side and running it to the sump pump so if it is a big spill the water will have somewhere to go. Any ideas??

TIA

use plastic sheeting, cut it to size and install and caulk the same way you would a stand up shower.

Most folks use something called parkland plastic, and if you find a place that sells it local let me know.

jp

There is a rubber paint that you can get at a big hardware store. It goes on thick, but may scratch easily.

I wonder if the same stuff they use to line truck beds would work?

I used marine varnish, stuff they use to coat boats, and I siliconed the seams. I didn't test it, but I'm sure my stand can hold a couple gallons.

That's what I'd recommend too if you are looking for a seal that will hold minor spills and protect the wood. The work would need to be done in a well ventilated area though 'cause that stuff stinks and is hazardus to breath in while it is curing. If you are looking for a solution to handle larger overflows, consider building an acrylic insert.

I coated the wood in an industrial-grade 2-part epoxy from Sherwin Williams (recommended by one of the owners of Scales), then I will be laying down some of the rubber membrane used as a waterproofing base in tiled showers (available at Home Depot or Lowes, just like pond liner but you can buy it by the foot), and I'm planning to silicone any seams.

~Brian

Marine Varnish.

Developed to protect wood on boats for harsher environments than your stand will ever be subjected to. More temperature extremes (direct sun to cold weather), wetter conditions (rain, fog, salt water spray, etc.).

Go with that.

I coated the wood in an industrial-grade 2-part epoxy from Sherwin Williams (recommended by one of the owners of Scales), then I will be laying down some of the rubber membrane used as a waterproofing base in tiled showers (available at Home Depot or Lowes, just like pond liner but you can buy it by the foot), and I'm planning to silicone any seams.

~Brian

That stuff is expensive as H-E-double hocky sticks.

That stuff is expensive as H-E-double hocky sticks.

Yes. Yes it is. I was shocked. Especially since the receipt even showed a 40% discount! But it is a VERY solid coating.

For those that are curious: it's only available at the industrial supply Sherwin-Williams, oil-based high-solids base w/ high gloss hardener. Mixes 1-1. Approx $50/gal, with a 2 gal minimum (1 gal base, 1 gal hardener). I think I may win the overbuildng award this year ....

if you haven't done anything yet, you might want to look into roll on truck bed coating. runs around $10 a quart,

and when applied properly it creates a flexible plastic coating that is completely impervious to water as well as scratch and rip resistant. if you are interested, i have some left over from my truck bed that i would be willing to give you.