Royal Grammas

trble81

Just added a Royal Gramma to our tank and POOF...can't find him. He was hashing out some differences that he had with a couple of the other tank inhabitants (he liked a particular cave in the rock work and wanted to call it home...the current residents didn't agree). Any way, added him just before the lights went out and I really can't see where he's hiding (and no, he didn't jump out or anything).

Now I know they tend to hide when the lights are on when they're in a new tank, until they get used to the cycle. For those of you who own or owned them, how long does it take for them to get acclimated enough to come out and show off those colors?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

--Mike

Mine took 23 hrs, 32 minutes, and 5 seconds before they came out and show'd off those colors.

All fun aside, that was 3 1/2 years ago and all four are still doing great.

I suspect, unless you have any similar body type shaped fish, they'll be visible at feeding time today and dart in and out of view during feeding for the first few days.

Mine are fed Aquarian flake food.

I can't imagine a tank without these charactors

Yeah, my concern when we were first staring to stock the tank was compatibility issues due to similar looking fish (the whole your shape is the same as mine....DIE!!!!!!).

It's always disappointing when someone is says, "I heard you got a new fish" and you respond "Yep....he's definately in the tank....somewhere"

Thanks for the info, bud!

--Mike

Just added a Royal Gramma to our tank and POOF...can't find him. He was hashing out some differences that he had with a couple of the other tank inhabitants (he liked a particular cave in the rock work and wanted to call it home...the current residents didn't agree). Any way, added him just before the lights went out and I really can't see where he's hiding (and no, he didn't jump out or anything).

Now I know they tend to hide when the lights are on when they're in a new tank, until they get used to the cycle. For those of you who own or owned them, how long does it take for them to get acclimated enough to come out and show off those colors?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

--Mike

Mine was harrassed a lot (in fact they ended up with jaws locked at one point) by my male Anthia when I first put him in the tank; he's a big, older gramma that I got from someone tearing down their fowlr. After fighting with the Anthia for a couple of days - he went into hiding (but I could always see him in the reflection off the glass) for a month - slowly getting out more and more during feeding time. Now he spends most of the day under his rock, but when it's feeding time he is out with the rest of them.

bob

Cool.

I kind of feel bad. He's behind my MJ1200 pump that feeds the Aqua C Remora. He kind of looks at me and I swear he mouths the words "Jerk-store" every time I walk by.

I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Good to know that everyone has had a similar situation with theirs. I wish I could enjoy the great colors on him but I'll just have to let nature take its course.

Cool.

I kind of feel bad. He's behind my MJ1200 pump that feeds the Aqua C Remora. He kind of looks at me and I swear he mouths the words "Jerk-store" every time I walk by.

I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Good to know that everyone has had a similar situation with theirs. I wish I could enjoy the great colors on him but I'll just have to let nature take its course.

I'm goin with JERK STORE!

haha.

i just got one the other day, and he made a nice little hidey hole under a rock crevasse. i was worried about him too, but he poked his head out this morning when i fed... although, he wasn't apparently hungry enough to come out yet.

Is it worth getting one of those little breader boxes that hangs off the side of the tank to put him into (protection and ease of feeding while allowing him to be seen by his tankmates)?

No, it's not. Leave it alone and let it get used to its surroundings. Once it's comfortable it will start coming out more.

Thanks Dave. He's still hiding behind the pump but I saw him actively going after food floating by him (eating=good in my book).

I swear, I'm like a new parent with a sneezing baby, "He sneezed....OMG!!!!....what do I do??!??!?!?" ;)

You guys are awesome! :cheers:

--Mike